Hydrometer & SG question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I was curious, would a gravity reading after priming and bottling be at all accurate?

Would there be a significant difference between FG before priming or after?

I don't plan on having to take a gravity reading afer the fact, but I was curious as to why our FG is not taken after priming and conditioning.

One of the main reasons to take a FG reading is to make sure that your beer is done fermenting and therefore ready to bottle...so there wouldn't be any reason to take another reading after you prime and or condition.

If you forgot to take the FG, you could probably use the reading with priming sugar - the difference would probably be negligible (sp?) but not after bottling - the CO2 in a finished beer will adhere to the hydrometer and "lift" it, causing a false reading. Perhaps with lots of spinning and tapping you'd be close...

Very good question because it seems like I always forget to take my reading until I have added the priming sugar and always wondered what effect it has.

try on your next batch -
FG before bottling,
FG w/priming sugar,
FG 2 weeks later, with bottled beer allowed to go flat...

then post here and let us all know!
(I'll do the same if I remember :eek:)

Latest posts

Back