Did I booboo? - Frozen keg/lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capcrnch

Reaction score
I brainfarted the other day...
I just finished my kegerator in time for usage on NYE.. I was late getting my kegs into the kegerator (sanyo4912), so I turned down the temp all the way, put the kegs in and let them chill.

Well, being the genius that I am, I forgot to even out the temp.
Today I went to the kegerator to get a glass and nada. I opened the door and found frozen lines to the faucets. That's when I realized what I did.

I don't think the beer in the kegs was frozen, I could hear it sloshing around.
I got the temp to normal and let it thaw.

Will the colder-then-it-should-be temps hurt the beer?

No, the beer will be fine! As long as it didn't freeze solid, your kegs will be ok. The quick disconnects are plastic, and hopefully they made it ok with the frozen beer in the lines.

Followup question..
When it did thaw and I poured (even 4-5 hours later), im getting almost full glasses of thick foam.

Is that because of what I did or is it something else?

No, the beer will be fine! As long as it didn't freeze solid, your kegs will be ok. The quick disconnects are plastic, and hopefully they made it ok with the frozen beer in the lines.

I don't think they froze. Just the lines.

I checked the lines and QD's and they all look fine.

Followup question..
When it did thaw and I poured (even 4-5 hours later), im getting almost full glasses of thick foam.

Is that because of what I did or is it something else?

I'd have to guess- but here's my guess! Colder beer holds co2 in solution far better than warmer beer. So, because of the temperature, it's overcarbed. What's the psi reading on the regulator?

Thanks yoop.

I believe its at about 8psi(ish) right now, but ill check and make sure tomorrow.

I think that I might close my check valves tonight so that if I did crack a quick disconnect. If you did then you might have an empty tank in the morn. Or a stuck poppet with a piece of ice. Just thinking... :mug:

I think that I might close my check valves tonight so that if I did crack a quick disconnect. If you did then you might have an empty tank in the morn. Or a stuck poppet with a piece of ice. Just thinking... :mug:

I'm sure im good now.

I found this out almost 12 hours ago. I would have seen it by now.

Don't ask me why I was pouring a beer at 10:15.

Back