Specialty IPA: Red IPA Dead Run Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferdrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 70F
Additional Fermentation
3 day cold crash @ 34F
Tasting Notes
nice caramel, malty backbone with citrusy, floral hop flavor and aroma
Dead_Run_Red.jpg

Dead Run Red
Swiss Navy Brewing

(with my system): pre-boil gravity=7 gallons & post-boil gravity=6 gallons

Grain Bill

8lb US 2-Row
2lb 12oz German Munich
1lb 4oz US Caramel 120L

Hops

1 oz Chinook (First Wort Hopped)
.5 oz Ahtanum (15 min)
.5 oz Centennial (5 min)
.5 oz Amarillo (Flameout)
2 oz Amarillo (Dry-Hopped)

Additional Fermentables

1 lb Raw, Organic Honey (5 min)

Additional Ingredients

1/2 Whirfloc Tablet

Mash Notes

151F for 60min

PHOTOS
Amarillo Dry Hop
Dead_Run_Red_Dry_Hop.JPG

On tap for Swiss Navy Brewing's 2010 Oktoberfest
Dead_Run_Red_Tap.JPG

Hey Surferdrew! I'm thinking of using this recipe as a base for a 4th of July American red. It will be my first BIAB and first AG. Do you know of an American version of the Munich Malt that will be just as red? I hadn't thought about using honey; could you taste it in the final product? I'm looking to keep it very simple for my first AG and I want a session beer that I can scale up to a 10g batch for my 4th of July party.

Thanks!!

Came across this post last week, had very similar ingredients and brewed it up last night! Only changes were .5oz of centennial at 15 min (no ahtanum available) and pitched Safale us-04. Was thinking that yeast would maybe keep things a little sweeter and fruitier (just my taste preference). I also was gifted some honey from a neighborhood beekeeper, it's delicious son assume it will be great in the brew. Anyway, thanks for the recipe!

Update: Went from 1.060 to 1.015 in a week (S-04 is a beast)! Sample tasted great. Gonna dry hop this for 7 days in primary and bottle.

2 weeks in the bottle. Probably one of the better American Ales I've made to date. I think this S-04 fit perfectly with this brew bringing out some of the fruit tones from the Amarillo hops. I'm guessing I'll make another batch of this soon. Thanks again!

image.jpg

Brewed a similar batch of this last week. Moved all the hop additions (except for bittering) to a whirlpool at the end of boil.

Back