My insane 25 Gal, 100 Percent Hard Plumbed Tri-Clover, Automated Tippy Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ kickflip ... Where did you find those burner windscreens?

BTW, as a welder (for furniture), I have to say that your welds are very nice for someone who isn't a professional at it. Nice rig...love the dump feature.

I bought the windscreens from brewers hardware, I had to do some heavy modifying to them. I fusion welded the seams back together and cut out a vent.
http://www.brewershardware.com/12-Heat-Shield-Burner-Mount.html

Thank you for the complement! some of my welds arnt perfect but im happy with the overall appearance. The one thing im concerned about is the welds through the bottom, those where awful to do for a novice like me.

I put in a huge order for all my electronics today. Hopefully I'm not missing anything. Obviously a few small odd and ends but nothing I couldn't pick up at the hardware store.

I put in a huge order for all my electronics today. Hopefully I'm not missing anything. Obviously a few small odd and ends but nothing I couldn't pick up at the hardware store.

Have you ever repaired a car without having to make at least 1 or 10 extra trips to the parts store? Just get used to paying UPS shipping for a while :)

Have you ever repaired a car without having to make at least 1 or 10 extra trips to the parts store? Just get used to paying UPS shipping for a while :)

Ha everytime! I actually made an excel sheet to cut down on things missed. But I know ACE hardware is going to be happy to take my money.

Well kick, I'm In process if renting out current house so that we can rent someone else's house due to job issues. Brew stand is painted and so close to finishing, control panel is ready to go, just need to put everything together but moving next weekend so am so far away from my first brew day with my new system. Condition of rental house is they are ok with me having 220v put in garage so at least I should get to fire new system by Christmas. Anyway, I will put together a thread with pics of my brewstand build which will have more to do with the paint job than anything that I will be sure to send you the link since I have enjoyed following your builds progress so much. Look forward to watching your control panel come together, just hope it doesn't make me regret going the Kal route. But so far am happy with where I'm at. Keep on with the good work. Cheers n beers.

Well kick, I'm In process if renting out current house so that we can rent someone else's house due to job issues. Brew stand is painted and so close to finishing, control panel is ready to go, just need to put everything together but moving next weekend so am so far away from my first brew day with my new system. Condition of rental house is they are ok with me having 220v put in garage so at least I should get to fire new system by Christmas. Anyway, I will put together a thread with pics of my brewstand build which will have more to do with the paint job than anything that I will be sure to send you the link since I have enjoyed following your builds progress so much. Look forward to watching your control panel come together, just hope it doesn't make me regret going the Kal route. But so far am happy with where I'm at. Keep on with the good work. Cheers n beers.

I'm sorry to here about job issues, I had to downgrade myself last year. Still not a fan but I am happy where i'm at.

That sounds so painful being so close to finishing a build but having to take a break. Maybe it will give you sometime to think about what else you need for your build? Rushing through these builds will make you want to fix small things that should have been done the first time. I don't think you will regret the Kal route. I am almost regretting going down the road that I went. I have way to much time and money into this rig.

Ok I finished my pilot lights and my volume sensor set up. Also added a stainless gusset in the control panel mounts. Definitely a long Sunday

image-3973258703.jpg

image-1016711497.jpg

image-2279257265.jpg

image-598739528.jpg

image-1054083542.jpg

I'm sorry to here about job issues, I had to downgrade myself last year. Still not a fan but I am happy where i'm at.

That sounds so painful being so close to finishing a build but having to take a break. Maybe it will give you sometime to think about what else you need for your build? Rushing through these builds will make you want to fix small things that should have been done the first time. I don't think you will regret the Kal route. I am almost regretting going down the road that I went. I have way to much time and money into this rig.

The only good thing is that I did the math and assuming I rent my current home out for what I want, with the savings in gas I will actually come out ahead; but, outside of moving all my free time is working towards getting another job as I'm done with my current career path...the only way to make it lucrative is a path I'm not willing to take. Anyway, brewstand is done, just need to drill the kettles for the quick pins to lock them in place on the stands tippy dumps, mount the CFC and pumps, and I can brew. Of course there are a few things I still want to do like get TC fittings on my CFC but I can brew without.

Anyway, the lack of lighting makes those pics look all artsy and stuff. Can you test the pilots yet or will you only know if they fire when you have everything together?

I have really enjoyed following your build. Great job. I am in the process of converting my rig to all triclamp, man that stuff adds up quick. Look for a thread in about a month (when my stout kettles are due to arrive)

Anyway, what are your plans for a chiller? They just aren't many options out there for tri clamp even using NPT to triclamp adapters, most plate chillers available to homebrewers are too narrow without adding a bunch of threaded 90's, and to me having threads in front of triclamp sort of defeats the purpose of having them. Just interested to hear your plan on that front.

Thanks. WNC

wncbrewer said:
I have really enjoyed following your build. Great job. I am in the process of converting my rig to all triclamp, man that stuff adds up quick. Look for a thread in about a month (when my stout kettles are due to arrive) Anyway, what are your plans for a chiller? They just aren't many options out there for tri clamp even using NPT to triclamp adapters, most plate chillers available to homebrewers are too narrow without adding a bunch of threaded 90's, and to me having threads in front of triclamp sort of defeats the purpose of having them. Just interested to hear your plan on that front. Thanks. WNC

Thank you, it's really been a labor of love. I am so lucky I can get the chance to build my dream rig. I'm really looking forward to seeing your build, and just realize that hard plumbing may not be the best option in terms of finances. Lol

I already completed my chiller. I took a TC end cap, drilled it out and soldered it on to a CFC from morebeer. I almost purchased a stainless one but I really wanted some copper in my brewery.. Check out my pictures.

image-2410402061.jpg

image-4193801316.jpg

image-3900687408.jpg

Thanks and sorry if I missed that earlier in the thread. I have used a counter flow chiller forever. I once bought a small 20 plate and wound up giving it away because it didn't work well. Great build and keep the photos. Coming.

I have really enjoyed following your build. Great job. I am in the process of converting my rig to all triclamp, man that stuff adds up quick. Look for a thread in about a month (when my stout kettles are due to arrive)
Yes, yes it does, Brewer's Hardware, Glacier Tanks, and Still Dragon will profit nicely from you as they did me...each of them has something you need for cheaper and then its about getting the cheapest shipping after that. Still Dragon does best on shipping followed by BH, and Glacier...they aren't so good.

Anyway, what are your plans for a chiller? They just aren't many options out there for tri clamp even using NPT to triclamp adapters, most plate chillers available to homebrewers are too narrow without adding a bunch of threaded 90's, and to me having threads in front of triclamp sort of defeats the purpose of having them. Just interested to hear your plan on that front.

I bought a stainless counterflow from Williams. My plan is to do exactly as kick did, but have a welder do the work for me. However if I can't find someone to do it I will have to attempt it myself and solder as I don't trust myself to succeed with my MIG. Otherwise you could buy the TC counterflow from Morebeer...but, that is way overpriced IMO.

If you decide not to try for the TC end on the CFC I would avoid the Williams or plan to cut the threading off. They used a stainless thread that is larger in its ID than the tube's OD so there is a gap. It is welded on the exposed side. Instead of welding the side that would contact the wort and then polishing they chose to leave the gap and then siliconed it to seal, no good, they should have just left the bare pipe.

I already completed my chiller. I took a TC end cap, drilled it out and soldered it on to a CFC from morebeer. I almost purchased a stainless one but I really wanted some copper in my brewery.. Check out my pictures.

How did drilling the end cap go for you? If I end up having to solder I'm worried about this for a number of reasons. My end cap is 1/4" thick and drilling a 5/8" hole seems daunting, difficulty clamping down such a small part on my drill press, and not getting a snug fit resulting in an inability to solder. Any tips would be great, might have to try to get my friend to toss it on a lathe at her machine shop to get exacting tolerances.

How did drilling the end cap go for you? If I end up having to solder I'm worried about this for a number of reasons. My end cap is 1/4" thick and drilling a 5/8" hole seems daunting, difficulty clamping down such a small part on my drill press, and not getting a snug fit resulting in an inability to solder. Any tips would be great, might have to try to get my friend to toss it on a lathe at her machine shop to get exacting tolerances.

Drilling the hole was really easy, just use lots of cutting oil pressure and keep it slow. I put the end cap in the vice and drilled away. Started with a pilot hole and then the 5/8ths bit and made it through just enough so the pipe would fit perfectly. Then put some foil down on the bench, clamped the end cap down then set the end of the chiller in the whole .. added a bunch of flux, heated it up and filled the space with solder. let it cool and cleaned up the exposed end.

Drilling the hole was really easy, just use lots of cutting oil pressure and keep it slow. I put the end cap in the vice and drilled away. Started with a pilot hole and then the 5/8ths bit and made it through just enough so the pipe would fit perfectly. Then put some foil down on the bench, clamped the end cap down then set the end of the chiller in the whole .. added a bunch of flux, heated it up and filled the space with solder. let it cool and cleaned up the exposed end.

So you used a drill motor instead of a press? I would worry I would elongate the hole. Did you have to do any filing to get a proper fit and did you end up with any gaps that the solder had to fill...I'm guessing that is why you used the foil, so you could pool into any gap?

yeah my press wont go down to that speed. I have a large drill that I used. I had no problem filling all the gaps. just puddle it in there. The foil was so I didnt burn the bench but also to keep the solder from flowing all over the table.

yeah my press wont go down to that speed. I have a large drill that I used. I had no problem filling all the gaps. just puddle it in there. The foil was so I didnt burn the bench but also to keep the solder from flowing all over the table.

My press goes to 300rpm which did great with all the metal cutting for the control box and brew stand. However, if what I'm drilling isn't held firmly and that bit catches, bad juju ensues. If all else fails I will have pick up a MAP torch and try my hand at silver soldering stainless. Thanks for the thoughts.

Awesome build! Really great job! How much did the whole thing cost you so far? if you posted it, I missed it!
Thanks for all of the well documented information!!

Bensiff said:
My press goes to 300rpm which did great with all the metal cutting for the control box and brew stand. However, if what I'm drilling isn't held firmly and that bit catches, bad juju ensues. If all else fails I will have pick up a MAP torch and try my hand at silver soldering stainless. Thanks for the thoughts.

Mine only goes to 600, **** gets crazy if it gets caught. Just turn around and run! Lol I just used lead free solder. I'm not concerned about it melting because it's only going to see 212 max.

Matteo57 said:
Awesome build! Really great job! How much did the whole thing cost you so far? if you posted it, I missed it! Thanks for all of the well documented information!!

Sadly I have no idea how much it's cost me. I'll know when it's done. I'm assuming 3-4k so far

Bensiff said:
Yes, yes it does, Brewer's Hardware, Glacier Tanks, and Still Dragon will profit nicely from you as they did me...each of them has something you need for cheaper and then its about getting the cheapest shipping after that. Still Dragon does best on shipping followed by BH, and Glacier...they aren't so good.

I bought a stainless counterflow from Williams. My plan is to do exactly as kick did, but have a welder do the work for me. However if I can't find someone to do it I will have to attempt it myself and solder as I don't trust myself to succeed with my MIG. Otherwise you could buy the TC counterflow from Morebeer...but, that is way overpriced IMO.

If you decide not to try for the TC end on the CFC I would avoid the Williams or plan to cut the threading off. They used a stainless thread that is larger in its ID than the tube's OD so there is a gap. It is welded on the exposed side. Instead of welding the side that would contact the wort and then polishing they chose to leave the gap and then siliconed it to seal, no good, they should have just left the bare pipe.

Thanks for the advice, bensiff and kick. I am super lucky in the sense that I live in Portland, and glacier tanks has a retail store 10 minutes from my house. No shipping and they give a cash discount. Which is probably good because I could max out a credit card in one hell of a hurry in that place. I received some goodies from brewers hardware just the other day, so at this point the stout kettles and a few more clamps and gaskets and a solution to my chiller quandary is all I need. Leaning towards soldering the TC cap. I have never silver soldered but can weld and sweat copper so with a little practice I should be able to pick it up. Thanks again, guys.

Soldering stainless is exactly the same, you just need special flux. Make sure you pre-heat the cap first before you move to the joint itself.

I received my brew troller yesterday, now I can start my control panel. The one thing they forgot to include is the mini LCD screen in my order. I had like 30 plus items from them, I expected something to be missed.

Kick,

Sorry to keep going back to your chiller, one quick question though. How do you plan to sanitize it? Are you gonna recirc hot wort through it during whirlpool? Set it up in a sani-loop with a conical. Just curious.

wncbrewer said:
Kick, Sorry to keep going back to your chiller, one quick question though. How do you plan to sanitize it? Are you gonna recirc hot wort through it during whirlpool? Set it up in a sani-loop with a conical. Just curious.

It's no big deal, that's why I started this thread! I actually plan on cleaning after each brew with a "clean in place " cycle. With that being said. I am just going to run the boiling wort through it, maybe have a delay on when the water valve opens. Just to sanitize it.

Very nice build. I'm going to start building mine soon and it will also be equipped with Tri-clamps. I noticed you used lots of expensive tri-clamp elbows and pipe runs. I purchased some 1/2" stainless pipe and a Rigid pipe bender so I have a continuous run from fitting to fitting. I am going to TIG weld end caps onto the ends. I figure this will be much much cheaper.

Very nice build. I'm going to start building mine soon and it will also be equipped with Tri-clamps. I noticed you used lots of expensive tri-clamp elbows and pipe runs. I am planning on buying 1/2" stainless pipe and using a pipe bender so I have a continuous run from fitting to fitting. I am going to TIG weld end caps onto the ends. I figure this will be much much cheaper.

If you are TIG welding the ferrules on why not use elbows instead of bending the tube - might end up with a lot of kinked tube if you try and bend it.

If you are TIG welding the ferrules on why not use elbows instead of bending the tube - might end up with a lot of kinked tube if you try and bend it.

I already purchased the tubing and Ridgid 608 tube bender and did a couple of test bends. Absolutely no kinking. It is a very nice bender and I think that makes all the difference.

Butt welding thin tubing is not very easy. Its difficult to get a nice smooth interior weld.

Wow! I just read this entire thread from start to finish. Amazing project! You sir have some skills! I can't even imagine tackling this kind of project but I sure would like to try someday. Maybe something smaller to start with. I'm definitely inspired by this though for sure. Great job so far. Can't wait to see it come to completion. Subscribed!

I already purchased the tubing and Ridgid 608 tube bender and did a couple of test bends. Absolutely no kinking. It is a very nice bender and I think that makes all the difference.

But welding thin tubing is not very easy. Its difficult to get a nice smooth interior weld.

What type and diameter tubing are ya' bending with this bender?

I'd like to see some of the bends, if you would be so kind.

Edit:.........That's a nice bender!

But welding thin tubing is not very easy. Its difficult to get a nice smooth interior weld.

Ah you are using 1/2" tube, ignore my suggestion as you have, for some reason I was thinking the tube would be 1"+ :eek: (rereading your post you say its 1/2").

Back