Does anyone want to contribute original recipes to a beginner's homebrewing manual?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whahoppened

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping a few homebrewers might be interested in contributing a killer original recipe or two (extract or all-grain or anything in between) to a book that will be published in (probably) May.

I'm writing an "Intro to Homebrewing" manual for a small independent publisher... as though there weren't enough of those books out there, right? It's actually more of a ghostwriting thing, and the publisher is confident they have some marketing strategy that will work.

Anyway, if this piques your curiosity and you'd like to contribute any original recipes you're sure make a great beer, please shoot me a direct msg. Unfortunately I don't have any $ to offer, but I'll be sure you get a full acknowledgment.

Unfortunately I don't have any $ to offer, but I'll be sure you get a full acknowledgment.

But YOU'RE going to make money from the book, right? So we'd be doing a good deal of the work on it so YOU can make money, for free.....

I don't think so.....My recipes are on here for FREE for people.....but that doesn't mean I'd help someone else make money, especially since I've turned down offers to write just such a book as you, but I've chosen to provide my info/knowledge for free to new brewers already.

I'm not trying to be rude, or unsupportive, I wish you luck, but I just I think that if you're coming up with a book, then you should be trying and testing your OWN recipes for it. I think if you're a good enough brewer to write a book, then you should be a good enough recipe creator as well......

But YOU'RE going to make money from the book, right? So we'd be doing a good deal of the work on it so YOU can make money, for free.....

I don't think so.....My recipes are on here for FREE for people.....but that doesn't mean I'd help someone else make money, especially since I've turned down offers to write just such a book as you, but I've chosen to provide my info/knowledge for free to new brewers already.

I'm not trying to be rude, or unsupportive, I wish you luck, but I just I think that if you're coming up with a book, then you should be trying and testing your OWN recipes for it. I think if you're a good enough brewer to write a book, then you should be a good enough recipe creator as well......

Everybody to the town square! The magistrate just caught a bread thief and is going to chop his filthy hands off!

But seriously though, I'm sorry you read my motivations this way. And I'm grateful that you give me the opportunity to clarify that I am indeed designing and testing my own recipes--more than enough to satisfy any "requirements" of the completion of this project and the collection of my very unimpressive, royalty-free paycheck. And in case you were wondering, I do *not* have an expense account for buying the test ingredients.

Putting out the request here was done under the assumption that homebrewers are eager to share the recipes they're proudest of as far and wide as possible, and out of my desire to help them do this--unless, of course, the recipes would otherwise be some source of income for them. (I know... assumptions, ass, u, me...)

It was not in any way an attempt to "cheat on my homework" or exploit the labor of anyone else. If this is, objectively, what I've done, may all ten ounces of hops in my fridge right now turn brown.

I wish I could offer some money. I'm a starving writer. I know how badly good creative content is undervalued these days. You know what? Send me--legally--a bottle of your best original beer, postage due, and we'll talk turkey about its recipe if that's really the only right way to do it.

Legally, you can use any recipe posted on the forums. Aside from the fact that they've all been shared freely and without copyright, recipes aren't really able to be copyrighted anyway. So once the book is written, we could freely post your recipes here. Maybe we should be thanking you for asking first, even if the law does not compel you to do so. I'm too justifiably humble to volunteer my own recipes, and rather reticent to volunteer someone else's. There are quite a few fine ones on the forums, however.

Deja vu
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/seeking-gurus-beer-making-im-writing-book-375957/

But on a serious note check out the recipe database. There are a great number of well tested recipes

*facepalm*

I'm a deja vu to that guy?

I was not asking anyone to spend any time or effort to create original content for me. I was asking if anyone wanted a wider audience for their best recipes that they'd already written down without expectation of selling for money.

I also know there's no apostrophe in "gurus" and there is one in "I'm".

*double facepalm*

*wonders if it's too late to go to law school*

:drunk:

Does your arm ever get tired from patting yourself on the back so much?

Back