What heatting element to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaYs3r

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope this is the right place for my question.

I'm starting to build my own e-BIAB system, and I don't know what heatting element is needded.

Is the one in the attachment enough? It has 1500W 220V

RESISTÊNCIA.jpg

1500 watts would work for smaller ~3 gallon batches, but would probably be a little slow. The most popular 240v elements are these ones, but you'll need to make sure you circuit is 30 amps or more to handle the power required by a 5500 watt element. This element boils 10 gallon batches without a problem.

I guess the question for you is what are your intentions for batch size and what are your kettle and electrical limitations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its for an 8 US gallon brew, so i guess I need more power. What would be the minimum ?

Thanks

I would say about 3000 watts would be your absolute minimum. Would you not be able to do use the element I posted? You could use a similar 4500 watt element, those are pretty popular too. Again what are your electrical limitations?

Try this guide for heating time.

You could install it vertically but you would need to cover the element with liquid to prevent issues.
How about a shorter element at 10" ? You could always use 3 of the elements you originally posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones you told me are a lot cheapper then mine.
What it the difference between Ultra low watt density and High watt density?

That refers to the amount of heat put out in a given surface area on the element. The idea is that a shorter element gets much hotter in order to transfer the same amount of heat a longer element would. This could be important if you plan to run the element while mashing, it could possibly scorch the grain/wort.

The element that is folded back and wavy allows it to be longer and have more surface area to transfer the heat to the liquid, which should reduce the chance of scorching or having hot spots.

Latest posts

Back