Why do they have to pick at it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
Spouses that is.

I get home from a long day at work. I forgot to wear my special computer glasses, so I had a wicked headache forming.

I have to make dinner though, cuz she's reading a book and 'watching' tv.

Then she gives me hell for giving her a slightly smaller portion size (though she bitches she needs to lose weight).

I then proclaim "we are not watching Shrek Christmas", so she hides the remote.

So I'm in the other room, pounding down the Kolsch, wondering why my wife has to pick on me when she knows I'm already not in a sweet mood. Her day was just peachy, so she's got to f*#$ with me??

:tank:

It's what they do. It's their job. If you want all peaches and cream, get a boy friend. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Fingers said:
It's what they do. It's their job. If you want all peaches and cream, get a boy friend. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D
Fingers, that's just wrong! I'd say more, but I don't want to start a big debate on this thread, or get myself an a$$ chewing from a mod.

malkore said:
special computer glasses
3Dglasses_s.jpg

Tell me about it.

I come home from work the other day and reach out to give Kellie a kiss and she practically screeches "I DONT WANT ANYBODY TOUCHING ME!"

Yup. Its that way sometimes. :eek:

Doesn't sound like you've been married any length of time yet...wait til menopause...

Next time the portion size is off just offer her the largest and tell her you're not that hungry anyway...it's the offering that counts...she'll most likely turn it down anyway (that's part of their "I'm testing you" procedures).

Same with Shrek...tell her it's OK if she watches it, but you're more interested in watching something else that night...a comedy, but not a cartoon/animation, etc. ;)

It can be pretty hard to diffuse stuff like that when you feel like crap. RDWHAHB and do what YOU can to make tomorrow a better day. Marriage aint easy, but if you keep your own nose clean, it's a lot easier to sleep at night.

I don't know what I'm talking about. Besides college, this is my first live-in girlfriend and we've only been living together for about 2 months. However, my parents were going through some tough times not too long ago, so I'll combine my observations along with those of my father's (still married, pretty happily, for 40+ years)...

Marriage is an absurd little idea. It's basically getting so comfortable with someone that, even though you'd be happier without them, you stay anyway because it's familiar.

There's really nothing wrong with that though. As long as you know who you are, don't lose sight of what you want out of life, and you aren't being held back by the person you are with, then your sex life and your love life, and who cooks your meals are just a matter of needs to be fulfilled. Do you want them to take up much of your time and focus? Or do you have greater goals where you want something more "ready made" in the relationship arena? If you have no life, find nothing better than fresh punani, and have no goals or aspirations, then by all means, live by yourself, remain single, and chase tail!!!

But if coming home to a home-cooked meal means something to you... if not having to go clubbing 4 nights a week to get laid... and having someone you can trust and depend on means something to you... if your goals are life, business, or artistically oriented, if you want to achieve something besides the perfect hottie, then think about a serious relationship. When you stop chasing tail and worrying about who is going to cook your meal, it frees up a lot of time (and money) for other things...

My SWMBO and I are growing apart, even as we integrate our lives together. I'm not sure if it's permanent or temporary, but it's still a pretty awesome/weird thing. It's weird. When you're dating, you spend every minute together. When you live together, you go off and hide in your own respective corners of the house... LOL... I'm not saying it's bad... it's just weird. Everybody needs their space though I guess.

I'm sure I'm saying dumb stuff and making an ass of myself. I'll shut up now.

shafferpilot said:
It can be pretty hard to diffuse stuff like that when you feel like crap. RDWHAHB and do what YOU can to make tomorrow a better day. Marriage aint easy, but if you keep your own nose clean, it's a lot easier to sleep at night.
Best of all, you can do it with the hand that's not holding the Kolsch.
jackoff.bmp

I'm gonna guess you don't have kids yet. Just a hunch.

Did you say YOU cooked the dinner?

Okay, first off I think that relationships are like religion and politics. They are difficult to discuss publicly. What others have to say can be perceived as criticism which leads to conflict.

However, I will still say my piece. An SWMBO is more than a wife, more than a cook, more than a mother, and more than a burden. She is a person, much like you. We are all very complex people, each having various strengths, weaknesses, and quirks. We are in a relationship, and for a relationship to really work, it needs to be a partnership.

A partnership requires equality, and open honest communication. If you are unable to effectively communicate to your partner any displeasure or annoyance that their behavior has caused you, you should not immediately lay the blame on them. Partnerships need a framework to resolve conflicts, and an understanding that both partners have an equal stake in the relationship and and the interests of one partner is of no more importance than the other.

Any woman who tries to force you to watch one fuggin second of Shrek Christmas is a cold-hearted soulless creature who obviously has no regard for the well-being of those around her.

My wife, she watches various shows that I can't stand---Sex and the Sh*tty, Top Chef, Project Runway, America's Next Top Crackwhore, etc., etc. But she doesn't force me to watch them. Ever. We've got a mutual respect that way. So I just retire to the basement and watch something on the Aquos.

You shouldn't put up with someone who tries to make you watch Shrek Christmas, though. Really.

Vent away, brother... we're here for ya, man.

Bernie put it best. It comes with the plumbing. They all have their moments but hopefully they're few and far between. When they happen you just deal with it as best as you can and go to bed early. :D

ohiobrewtus said:
Vent away, brother... we're here for ya, man.

Bernie put it best. It comes with the plumbing. They all have their moments but hopefully they're few and far between. When they happen you just deal with it as best as you can and go to bed lonely. :D

There. I fixed that for you.

Does she like you brewing? If not your should have gone ahead and started brewing right then and there? Back to back batches and put a box fan up blowing the smell into whatever room shes in.:D Guess this only works if she doesnt like the smell.

My wife knows better than to play the "let's do something annoying" game with me. I'm pretty good at tuning things out and I take things to the n'th degree.

Beerthoven said:
Tell me about it.

I come home from work the other day and reach out to give Kellie a kiss and she practically screeches "I DONT WANT ANYBODY TOUCHING ME!"

Yup. Its that way sometimes. :eek:

that's when you give her a pat on the fanny and whisper awooga in her ear...

Get one of these and everytime they ask/bug ya, you get to take a drink and reply at the same time.

524357.jpg

Everyone has their days where they don't have the energy to work out conflicts at the end of the day. When partners both have that day at the same time it can turn into quite a dustup.

When you start having those days more often than you have regular days and good days combined, you need to figure out what's wrong. If you can't remember the last time it was just an all around good day the 2 of you had together it has become a critical problem.

For the readers: it's also important to remember that sometimes venting is just venting. Sometimes when people vent they don't tell the whole story or can't even see the whole story because of all the steam that's built up. I worry more about people who always seem to be gloriously happy than the ones who vent or grumble once in a while.

Evan! said:
So I just retire to the basement and watch something on the Aquos.

You should be building the bar, not just sitting and watching the new boob tube

Evan! said:
she watches various shows that I can't stand---Sex and the Sh*tty, Top Chef, Project Runway, America's Next Top Crackwhore, etc., etc.

Dude I thought you were talking about my SWMBO... Then I realized you were too far away.

Back