Which do you drink first, commercial or hb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
I've noticed that when j get a chance to have a beer, i tend to save homebrew for some reason, and drink commercial stuff. Part of it comes from a desire to see how it improves, but also I think it's due to the effort and patience required. Anyone else have this problem?

I don't buy a lot of commercial beer just to keep a supply of beer. That need is filled by homebrew. I do have some homebrew I don't like to share much, specifically my sours, but I don't mind sharing the rest. I'll share my sours with people who will appreciate them but I don't want to hand out all my sours just to have people not enjoy them when I could be enjoying them thoroughly. I don't have the room to brew enough sours to give them away freely. Sorry, if you want to see if you like sour beer I can recommend some cheap options at the liquor store. If you like it, come back and I'll happily share some of mine. When I do buy commercial beer, it's usually beers I hunted down and selfishly only want to share with my wife and myself. We usually only buy one bottle so that's our only opportunity to enjoy.

I haven't purchased any commercial beer (for home) in almost two years (since starting to brew my own). Since I started kegging, I've had even less desire to purchase beer. When I want a beer, I simply pull a pint/glass and enjoy it. I still have some in bottles, from before I started to keg, that I'll probably start chilling some of too.

I almost always want to grab a bottle of commercial from the door of the kegerator, but I think part of that is the fact that I need variety, so drinking the same HB day after day tends to get a bit tedious. Also, I have a keg of DOS EQUIS on the right tap (which is actually pretty good!), and a keg of fruity Blonde on the left tap, so there isn't much good HB to choose from right now.

I have a chocolate porter in bottles, but I'm letting that age 1-2 more weeks before digging in and really those are for the wife and friends (maybe...)

I need to brew up a batch or two of stout for some guys at work.

I am the same way with the exception of good homebrew IPA's. I'll drink those first, but let my other homebrews age more while I drink some commercial beers. I feel like hb IPA's lose their flavor quicker than commercial brews. Could be wrong, but it keeps me drinking them young.

Back