Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a batch last weekend and added two containers of Limeade. We shall see, just experimenting so I have almost 7 gals of brew.

msh227 said:
I brewed a batch last weekend and added two containers of Limeade. We shall see, just experimenting so I have almost 7 gals of brew.

That's gonna probably be over powered lime flavor n feel.

Sambecker1 said:
SD did you keg or bottle? If keg what schedule of pressure and timing?

I keg...32psi for 1 day, just to check for leaks and saturate beer...then 8 psi for 6 days and adjust up or down based on how much you like your beer car bed...note most hefeweizen's have very little carbonation, I personally like my carbonation so I make/serve just like any other beer!

Bugaboo said:
This might of been discussed already, but how is the limeade calculated into the batch size? Do you brew 6 gal then add limeade or brew 5.5 gal and add limeade?

The objective is to finish with 6 gallons....usually means 6 gallons of beer and a quarter of trub.

msh227 said:

You may not like the outcome....keep in mind that this adjunct is harder for the yeast to convert, which can lead to undesirable flavors....additionally more lime will distort the flavor somewhat and you will loose all of the lemon/tang flavoring....but none the less, keep experimenting and share your results...we are all in the search for the perfect beer!

.note most hefeweizen's have very little carbonation, I personally like my carbonation so I make/serve just like any other beer!

most hefeweizens have high carbonation... here's a little snippet from the BJCP style guideline..
The texture of wheat imparts the sensation of a fluffy, creamy fullness that may progress to a light, spritzy finish aided by high carbonation. Always effervescent.

Every hefe I was ever served in Germany was pretty well carbonated...

Mysticmead said:
most hefeweizens have high carbonation... here's a little snippet from the BJCP style guideline..

Every hefe I was ever served in Germany was pretty well carbonated...

I mistyped your right...I mention to say most are highly carbonated (sometimes at a rate of 4 times a normal beer) I however just serve them like the rest....I apologize for my misspeak/typo

I mistyped your right...I mention to say most are highly carbonated (sometimes at a rate of 4 times a normal beer) I however just serve them like the rest....I apologize for my misspeak/typo

no prob Slim... this is a GREAT beer and either highly carbonated or low its still a crowd pleaser:rockin:

I did a version of this with wlp 300 and it came out great. There was a little bit of white pellicle when I bottled so there is a great sourness to it. I squeezed a lemon in one glass for an incredible citrus flavor. It was like summer shandy in the bizarro world.

Great recipe!!

I also used WLP300... it's the closest yeast i could source.... i brewed it cold so that the bana flavor would be subdued.. so, i just kegged it tonight.... once done, i had a pitcher left with no container to bottle it in... guess what i did, DRANK THE WHOLE THING FLAT! it was great!, warm and flat! i can't wait till this is carbed and chilled...... once of the best summer brews i've ever brewed. hands down.

I also used WLP300... it's the closest yeast i could source.... i brewed it cold so that the bana flavor would be subdued.. so, i just kegged it tonight.... once done, i had a pitcher left with no container to bottle it in... guess what i did, DRANK THE WHOLE THING FLAT! it was great!, warm and flat! i can't wait till this is carbed and chilled...... once of the best summer brews i've ever brewed. hands down.

LOL...thats what I call not wasting a drop...glad you like the recipe, it gets even better with Hef IV, but you did the smart thing fermenting cooler with WLP300 because it can really get a strong banana flavor to it!

Kegged since Saturday and almost kicked :(. Guess I just need to make more!

image-1560945920.jpg

Sambecker1 said:
Kegged since Saturday and almost kicked :(. Guess I just need to make more!

Nice house, nice glass. Now invite me over for a taste before you kick it, wanna be sure I like it! I'm work in Cleona.

sivdrinks said:
Nice house, nice glass. Now invite me over for a taste before you kick it, wanna be sure I like it! I'm work in Cleona.

HAHA thanks. Just moved back in after September floods and rebuilt house ourselves. I ended up kicking it last night...sorry. When I make it again I'll let ya know.

Sambecker1 said:
HAHA thanks. Just moved back in after September floods and rebuilt house ourselves. I ended up kicking it last night...sorry. When I make it again I'll let ya know.

Floods were a *****, sorry about yer house. No worries on the brew, I may get a jump on Fall beers anyway unless the wife wants this made before then. Gimmie a PM if you ever wanna have a beer or exchange some homebrew, I hit the Batdorf every now and then.

I did a version of this with wlp 300 and it came out great. There was a little bit of white pellicle when I bottled so there is a great sourness to it. I squeezed a lemon in one glass for an incredible citrus flavor. It was like summer shandy in the bizarro world.

Great recipe!!

I meant to ask you how sour the beer turned out...im a big fan of sour beers, but I can only drink 1 or 2 and im done with them for the night!

I meant to ask you how sour the beer turned out...im a big fan of sour beers, but I can only drink 1 or 2 and im done with them for the night!

Not too sour, it's a perfect citrus bite. Keeps getting better as well. Mine got very dry, ended around 1.002 so there's no residual sweetness. I did add a couple tablespoons of grenadine to 1 glass for an excellent sweet complimenting flavor.

Ok, been in the bottle for about 1 month and it's just great. The citrus flavour is outstanding and it doesn't overshadow the strong BEER flavor, so it makes for the perfect drink on a summer day. I squeezed a lemon & lime in 1 glass, it only accentuates the positive qualities more. Great recipe

P1030666.jpg

Ok, been in the bottle for about 1 month and it's just great. The citrus flavour is outstanding and it doesn't overshadow the strong BEER flavor, so it makes for the perfect drink on a summer day. I squeezed a lemon & lime in 1 glass, it only accentuates the positive qualities more. Great recipe

P1030666.jpg

Very nice...even the bunny is jealous!

Everyone...I will be in Sturgis for a couple of weeks...no cell, no laptop....just tons of beer and naked women...So I apologize if I dont reply to your questions during that period, however their are some great brewers who follow this recipe and can help you brew one of my favorites!!!

I made up a batch of this yesterday following the original recipe. We are unfortunately in our hot stretch this weekend with no ac, I came home from work tonight and the house was 80°! It's in the coolest closet in the house so hopefully things don't go too wrong.

I made up a batch of this yesterday following the original recipe. We are unfortunately in our hot stretch this weekend with no ac, I came home from work tonight and the house was 80°! It's in the coolest closet in the house so hopefully things don't go too wrong.

must be nice to only hit 80 with no AC :)

don't worry to much about the high temps... while controlling temps is an important thing in most beers, A hefe can allow for some wiggle room. in the end you'll still make a damn good beer.

i'm using this recipe as an example to learn how to convert all grain to partial mash using beersmith and i need help, this is my result so far..and the thread i started

"i put it in beersmith and noted the OG of 1.048 for a 6 gallon all grain boil, then reduced the 2 row to 5 pounds? since 1# of vienna plus 4# of white wheat. So i added 0.7# of LME to get back to 1.048. Did i do that right or do i need to change the type in beersmith from allgrain to partial, and the equipment from 13 gallon pot to 5 gallon pot??"

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/need-help-converting-recipe-all-grain-mini-mash-346019/#post4309734

i'm using this recipe as an example to learn how to convert all grain to partial mash using beersmith and i need help, this is my result so far..and the thread i started

"i put it in beersmith and noted the OG of 1.048 for a 6 gallon all grain boil, then reduced the 2 row to 5 pounds? since 1# of vienna plus 4# of white wheat. So i added 0.7# of LME to get back to 1.048. Did i do that right or do i need to change the type in beersmith from allgrain to partial, and the equipment from 13 gallon pot to 5 gallon pot??"

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/need-help-converting-recipe-all-grain-mini-mash-346019/#post4309734

Just checked my phone (couldn't help myself)...if you read through the thread, I have already converted to a partial mash, however if you insistenant on doing this yourself than enter the recipe as an all grain and convert, some of the grain will not convert so it will be a partial mash

Yeah I'm aware that you converted it already..its one of the reasons i picked this to practice...I'm struggling to figure out how u converted it though...using beersmith i get nothing close to what u posted

Thanks for posting this recipe. Sounded so good that I gave it a shot with an extract version - haven't done AG yet. Had to make a few changes (LHBS didn't have Sorachi), and made a few changes for fun (8oz. of honey malt, etc.) Looking forward to it. In the second week now, and it smells great.

Extract recipe I used:

• 6lbs Wheat Liquid Extract
• 1lb Light Dry Extract (15 min)
• 8oz Vienna Malt
• 8oz Honey Malt
• 0.33 Motueka Hops at 60 Minutes
• 0.25 Citra 20 minutes
• 0.33 Motueka Hops 20 minutes
• 0.25 Citra 7 Minutes
• 0.50 Lime Zest 5 Minutes
• White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
• Two days later, added 1.75L Simply Limeade

OG was 1.046

I’ll post the results!

Trubnoob said:
Thanks for posting this recipe. Sounded so good that I gave it a shot with an extract version - haven't done AG yet. Had to make a few changes (LHBS didn't have Sorachi), and made a few changes for fun (8oz. of honey malt, etc.) Looking forward to it. In the second week now, and it smells great.

Extract recipe I used:

• 8oz Vienna Malt
• 8oz Honey Malt
• 0.25 Citra 20 minutes
• 0.25 Citra 7 Minutes

OG was 1.046

I’ll post the results!

I haven't done this yet but maybe you wanna add lemon zest to make up for not having Sorachi? Sounds very lime dominant.

I think you're right. I'm a big lime fan and really went for it here. I actually called this "honey-lime hefeweizen" on the recipe, but adding a lemon touch would be nice too. Maybe next time I'll use a mix of zest/juice if I still can't get Sorachi... Thanks for the feedback!

That's a lot of honey malt. It's normally about 3% of a grain bill otherwise it could be too much as recommended by others on here. I used it in my blonde ale and only used 4 oz. and as far as subbing for sorachi ace.... Though the 2 aren't the same but people have made this using cascade and liked the results.

Even when it's just used as a steeping grain? I figured with the intensity of the lime it wouldn't be a problem.

I don't think it matters if your steeping it, or mashing it in a AG setup. Your mostly just subbing the base malt with extract, your specialty grains still have to be used in proportion. Though you may find you still like the results. It's interesting though, your recipe is nearly identical to my tropical storm blonde ale with a few differences.

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing!

I was considering bottling with honey, which I haven't done before, do you think I should avoid that now knowing that the honey malt will be heavy? I suppose I just have to taste it and make the call...

I think you'll get plenty of honey from the malt. But a taste test is always a good indicator. After all, it's gonna have to satisfy your taste buds, not mine. So it's all personal preference.

Trubnoob said:

Extract recipe I used:

• 8oz Vienna Malt
• 8oz Honey Malt
• 0.25 Citra 20 minutes
• 0.25 Citra 7 Minutes

OG was 1.046

I’ll post the results!

Interesting recipe, let us know how it turns out...and post pictures!

Back