Anyone bought a Monster Mill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWilson

Reaction score
Wow! When I opened that website I though, "this looks just like Crankenstien!"
BTW I have a Crankenstien and am very happy with it, especially the service from Don.

Fred,

I used to be in sales and know the value of good customer service. From everything I have heard about you, your level of service is top notch. I have a couple of quick questions for you. When will the 2" mill be available and what will be the price? Also, what about the 3-roller mills availability and price?

Nope...I ordered a Barley Crusher instead. I liked the price, the 'comes with a handle and is drill-ready' instead of having to pay extra.

and I didn't want to get caught in the drama that's unfolding with the whole monster/crankenstein shennanigans.

Looks like a quality product - and I'm willing to bet it is.

I guess time will tell if the market is big enough to support so many different (yet so similar) products.

I would like to let you guys over here know what happened with CrankandStein too....there's been a lot of flap on several boards about what happened, and you should hear it from one of the horses' mouths. (or the other end, depending on who you talk to. :) )

I was partners with the guy that builds the CrankandStein mill for the last 7 years. Our deal was for me to sell the mills, and for him to build the mills. Part of selling was advertising $$, web site development $$, professional photos $$, etc....all financed from my share of the profits. Basically after we finally got successful, and I was selling more mills than my partner could build in a week, he decided that he didn't need my services any longer. He remarked more than once that his mills were "selling themselves" . Being the one that was answering all of your questions, shipping all of the mills as quickly as possible, and supporting the customers, I was sure that the mills weren't really selling themselves. I felt like I provided a "value added" service to the product, and was earning my $$.

So basically, we aren't working together any more. After we split up, I found a machine shop that could build my own design, and had them make a bunch of the new MM-2 mills. I'm working to get the new name out there. The reason that Monster Brewing Hardware looks like the old CrankandStein site is that I owned the CrankandStein site, it was mine all along, as well as the URL. I plan to re-do the site sometime, but I had to get back in business asap, and didn't have time to get a web developer on it.

Originally I had hoped to use the CrankandStein.com URL to sell my new mill. Wrong!! Can't do that. So it's down, basically for good. So, I'm having to start all over again with a new mill, a new name, and a new business. I plan to add new products as soon as its financially possible without debt. Right now I have a working prototype of the new MM-3 mill. I'm testing it currently, and having some other folks look at it too. If everything goes well, it should go into production very soon. It'll retail at $149 with the std shaft. I'm also working on a hopper design that is sheet metal. The design is almost done. After its right, I'm going to look for someone to build it. If anyone knows a sheet metal fabricator that'll do small runs of simple stuff, let me know. Stainless rollers will come next, and then later the 2" roller mills. I'm sorry that I can't provide a date for these, but I can only promise that they'll be here as soon as possible. My old partner is still building mills, and he can whip you up a 2" roller mill no problem if you have an immediate need. I would suggest that our 1.5" roller models work great, and will certainly provide a satisfactory crush. I'd bet that the used market is good, and an upgrade to 2" status in the future wouldn't cost too much. The 2" 2-roller mill will most likely retail at $179, and will come standard with the larger 1/2" drive shaft.

You can check out the new mills at my new location.

Monster Brewing Hardware

We will post the arrival of new products there first, and probably here in the Vendor Area.

Please shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions. [email protected]

Thanks,

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

Thanks for the skinny, Fred. Hopefully your honesty and willingness to support the site as a vendor can earn you some customers from the members here and help build your business out.

Hey Fred,
Any idea if and when you may offer a motorized version? I would love to have a motorized mill, but have put off doing it with my current mill as it is already 8 years old. A motorized mill with a large hopper (20+ pounds) for around $250 would be a nice top of the line addition to your line up, and I for one would be willing to fork over the dough.

A motorized mill, with hopper for $250? No way.

I'm looking at building a manual 2 roller mill, without a hopper, for about $140 in materials. And that doesn't include any labor. The mill would be either gear or chain driven, and have 2 inch SST rollers.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but the only way someone could buy a new motorized mill for $250 would be if the manufacturer didn't care about making a profit and used inferior materials.

Fred-
when you get some independent reviews in, make sure to link us to them! I'm sure a few unbiased favorable opinions will do more than anything to help your sales ;).

Good luck with your "new" company!

I just ordered one ($137 with international shipping :) and it was here in one week) I won't be getting a chance to brew with it until next weekend at the earliest, but my impressions out of the box are favorable. It is a chunky of steel, 1.5"x6" rollers doesn't sound so large, but my old mill was a feable 1"x4". The adjustment knobs are big, and the action adjusting the gap seems smooth. The screws for tightening the adjustment screws are easy to tighten by hand. The whole thing feels well build, there is some movement in the frame as it isn't attatched to a base yet. I'll write more once the hoppper and base are on and I get to brew with it.

Oedipus Rex said:
A motorized mill, with hopper for $250? No way.

I'm looking at building a manual 2 roller mill, without a hopper, for about $140 in materials. And that doesn't include any labor. The mill would be either gear or chain driven, and have 2 inch SST rollers.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but the only way someone could buy a new motorized mill for $250 would be if the manufacturer didn't care about making a profit and used inferior materials.

Just buy the Monster Mill then. It's only $99. Save yourself the $50.

I was just stating what I would like to see. If it's not possible, then it's not possible.

BTW, I've seen geared reduction motors for like $35 online. So $130 for mill plus motor and all you need is a hopper. I don't think the hopper would cost $120.

A motorized mill is a great home project. Unfortunately I don't have time to build such a beast for sale, and I'm not sure of how many folks would want it already made and be willing to pay what it would cost to do well. I HAVE been approached by more than one person that was thinking of making their own cabinet design, and incorporating a mill into it, along with the bits for motorization. A good business idea for any handy person here with some wood working tools. You can buy multiple mills from me at a time, and make a cabinet, and sell the whole lot for a profit.

What I really have considered is to sell a kit that comes with the right pulleys, a motor, and belt. The cabinet would be up to you. I might possibly design something, and include plans with it. That's as far as its gotten. If you look far and wide on this board and others, there's tons of ideas. I've decided to work first toward the other mills that I need in my product line to compete better with my old partner. A hopper and Base being a key item to have, because many folks would rather take it out of the box, and mill right away. This is the biggest reason I can see that the Barley Crusher is popular, and why I sold so many BCC mills when I was selling CrankandStein.....did anyone ever guess what the CGM-BCC meant that I used to sell? :) It was the Barley Crusher Crusher.... :D

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

jdoiv said:
Just buy the Monster Mill then. It's only $99. Save yourself the $50.

I was just stating what I would like to see. If it's not possible, then it's not possible.

BTW, I've seen geared reduction motors for like $35 online. So $130 for mill plus motor and all you need is a hopper. I don't think the hopper would cost $120.

I have no interest in buying someone else's mill when I can build a better one myself. I'm looking at making a line of mills with the best of all 'upgrades'. Like geared 2.0" SST rollers, ball bearings, a simplified roller adjustment from the outside of the base, grain guide plates, and perhaps give the owner an option of changing to different diameter rollers without buying a whole new mill. Options would include a variety of hoppers and base plates.

The problem is this... who would be willing to pay for such a nice product? I just don't believe many beer drinkers would be willing to put forth the cash.

Just for fun, I am going to make a prototype for myself and I don't even drink beer!:drunk: Hell, I'll probably give it away to the brother of my sister's husband. He's a home brewer. That'll make him soil himself.

I wouldn't consider geared rollers an 'upgrade', and ball bearings have more potential for causing problems than the bushings. With bushings, you will get some play in them, with quality bearings, there is no play, so alignment will be critical. Think CNC and a 100% level mount. Not as easy as it sounds.

Hi Fred

I had this one man shop do some work for me, about a year ago. I have moved since then.

Tin Shop
maps.google.com

201 N Main St
Findlay, OH 45840
(419) 422-2213

Monster Mills said:
What I really have considered is to sell a kit that comes with the right pulleys, a motor, and belt. The cabinet would be up to you. I might possibly design something, and include plans with it. That's as far as its gotten. If you look far and wide on this board and others, there's tons of ideas. I've decided to work first toward the other mills that I need in my product line to compete better with my old partner. A hopper and Base being a key item to have, because many folks would rather take it out of the box, and mill right away. This is the biggest reason I can see that the Barley Crusher is popular, and why I sold so many BCC mills when I was selling CrankandStein.....did anyone ever guess what the CGM-BCC meant that I used to sell? :) It was the Barley Crusher Crusher.... :D

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

I would be happy with a kit that came with all the pulleys and stuff. That would make setting it up much easier than trying to do the research and buying stuff that may or may not work. Building a cabinet or table to mount it on would be fairly easy.

I do think that a base and hopper would do your business wonders. I am wanting to upgrade my old mill and have looked at the BC just for the fact that I could get it with everything ready to go. Just haven't justified giving up on the old mill yet, but it won't be long if it keeps giving me trouble.

I don't think a pre-made hopper is a good selling point. A plastic water bottle does the same job, and has some advantages over a hard fastened hopper.

mr x said:
I wouldn't consider geared rollers an 'upgrade', and ball bearings have more potential for causing problems than the bushings. With bushings, you will get some play in them, with quality bearings, there is no play, so alignment will be critical. Think CNC and a 100% level mount. Not as easy as it sounds.

I intend to turn the rollers on a CNC lathe and mill the base plates on a CNC mill. Doing so will make bearings and an accurate roller lash a viable option. BTW, I do own my own shop.

If you have your own shop then you're all set. The reason I don't like geared motors is that somewhere along the power train you should have something that will slip if you get a piece of metal jammed in the rollers. You never know what will fall out of a bag of grain. Thats why I like the pulley and belt system.

mr x said:
If you have your own shop then you're all set. The reason I don't like geared motors is that somewhere along the power train you should have something that will slip if you get a piece of metal jammed in the rollers. You never know what will fall out of a bag of grain. Thats why I like the pulley and belt system.

Ok, that makes sense. Any other suggestions?

I've dealt with Fred recently. And got one of the last CrankenStein mills fom him. He offered to let me back out of the deal because of the problems he was having. And was very helpful after the sale.

For anyone wishing to motorize a mill Fred also pointed me to this site and I'm build something similar.

http://***********/departments/1123.html

Wanted to give everyone a heads up with what's going on with me here at Monster Brewing Hardware.

I want to let folks know that the MM-3 is going into production as of tomorrow, and I should have mills ready to ship some time late next week....can't commit to an exact date, but release is immanent. MM-3 will retail at $149

303 stainless rollers with 3/8" and 1/2" drive shafts will come available at the same time.... It'll be a $50 upgrade for the MM-2, and $75 for the MM-3. Availability will be limited initially. Only getting 15 sets.

Crank handle is designed and submitted, just waiting for the prototype for checkout, and pricing.

Thanks to EVERYONE!!! With all that I've been through over the last several months, I don't think it could have gone much better. :) Good feedback here is really helping get the word out. I appreciate your kind words of encouragement, and especially telling your friends about Monster Mills.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions.

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

Here's a picture of the new MM-3 just in case you guys haven't seen it. These are shipping right now. We have the stainless roller option available for the 2 and 3 roller mills available right now too, but in limited supply.

Thanks!

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

mm3snaplrg2.jpg

Shown with optional 1/2" drive shaft .

My MM-2 is up and running and crushed its first 20 pounds of grain last week. Motorised @ 150rpm it virtually gobbled its way through in less than 2 minutes! :rockin:

dsc02745qs6.jpg

It's da bomb! :fro:

Warren -

showphoto.php
A friend built me this setup for my mill for $75, I was so impressed with it that I had to post it for eveyone to see.the hopper holds about 25 pounds of grain and is detachable for storage.it was made from cabinet grade plywood so it cost a little more but well worth the extra expense.if you would like the same setup email me at [email protected]

Back