Question about control panels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gclay

Reaction score
In the control panel I want to build, do I run 2 heating elements off one SSR or do I run 2 SSR's off one PID with one element off each?

I want to run 2 1500w elements off the mash/sparge and 2 for the boil. I also want to be able to just run the mash/sparge or the boil. I have 20 amp service in all my kitchen plugs.

Gerald

You could electrically and mechanically interlock your single SSR to independently power your elements. Unfortunately (2) 1500 W elements will pull 25 amps before you have even added your PID, lights, contactors, etc. Perhaps you can post some more information about what you want to accomplish and with what specific gear.

In all real world life, I would make two 120v heatsticks and run them on separate lines from the circuit box. They will both need to be on nearly 100% for a boil kettle or an HLT. I wouldn't even have an SSR for that. Unplug one of them as needed.

ok, so I want to run 2 water heating elements for my hlt/sparge and 2 for my boil. Instead of having four power cords running from the panel I just wanted 2 for now. I want to be able to switch from hlt to boil with the flip of a switch. I will also want to control my pump, for my chiller, it'll be a closed loop, pump in bucket of ice water through copper and back to bucket. For now it'll be gravity fed but eventually it'll be single level.

Circuit A on (hlt) flip switch Circuit B is on (boil) I want to be able to know my temps at a glance.

I'm going to be making an electric brewery, not as advanced as The Electric Brewery, I want to get the panel ready with plastic buckets so when it's time all I have to do is cut holes in the stainless kettles and away we go.

I'm not very good at explaining myself.

Gerald

Ok, now I think I get it.
I'm assuming that your 20A outlets are 120V. As Wberry said, 2x1500W elements will draw 25A, so your outlets are not enough. You'd need 2x40A outlets (or 4x20A), to be able to run that load with an adequate safety margin.

Now, to your original questions:

Theoretically, you can do it either way. Generally speaking, all measuring and control devices are designed to be able to drive 5 standard loads from any output, which means you shouldn't have any problems running 2 SSR's off a PID. That said, if you choose to go this route, MAKE SURE FIRST THAT'S THE CASE with your PID and SSR's, so you don't have any nasty surprises later.
Personally, I would use 1 SSR for every 2 elements. Running 1 SSR per element has no real advantages, other than allowing you to use cheaper, 20A SSR's (instead of 1, 40A unit), and eventually allowing you to use independent power circuits for each element (notice that I said circuits, not outlets. I wouldn't run the 4 elements off of 4 20A outlets if they shared the same circuit). If you don't plan on doing that, you're just adding potential failure points to your setup.

Finally, I agree with Milldoggy in that 240V would be a much better option for you. I would go for a 40A circuit though, as 30A is a little too tight for comfort. That way you have the option of running the elements in series, running each pair off of a 120V branch, or running each pair off of the 240V, but using the neutral as a separator (a little more expensive, as you will need twice the breakers/fuses, but, at least IMO, the best option, as it keeps the loads balanced among the 2 phases).

Hope it helps...:)

The only 240v is the stove so that's a no-go. I guess going from 20 amp to 40 amp is not just a simple matter of switching breakers.

I'll have to talk to the electricians building the houses here, to make sure the wiring can handle it. The house is one year old.

Do you have a dryer? Where is your breaker box? 20 amp is probably 12g wire, you need at least 10 for 30 amp. You will also want 3 wires, plus a ground. Normal outlets are 2 wires and a ground.

Back