$12 O2 adapter for disposable tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattiemo

Reaction score
I will start by saying do this at your own risk! you will be modifying a propane torch head.
I started with this $12
catalog

if you don't know it has right hand threads and an o2 tank has left hand threads.
I took it apart leaving only the main body that screws on the the o2 tank.
then i took a carbide scraper (though you could use a dremel tool or sand paper) and took the threads of the torch head down to about half of there original height.
now putting the torch head in a vice you can (cross)thread an EMPTY! o2 tank in to the brass torch head by pushing the tank hard as you turn it. (the torch head being made of brass is softer then the steel used in the o2 tank.)
once the left hand threads have been created you can reassemble the torch head and put on a full tank to test it.
this took me about 15 min and i have a functioning o2 valve.

Again i will repeat this. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Do you have any pics of the project in progress?

Maybe you could explain the concept maybe we could help or improve upon it.

thanks in advance,

Lg

OR, you can buy one of these. Yes, it's 3x the cost, but what if you screw up on your first try at re-threading the torch head? I'm all for the DIY spirit but there's a limit. If you're that hard up for cash you probably should give up home brewing, and drinking all together.

i just took some pictures to guide you through but i dont know how to insert an image. the insert image tab just asksfor a link.

OR, you can buy one of these. Yes, it's 3x the cost, but what if you screw up on your first try at re-threading the torch head? I'm all for the DIY spirit but there's a limit. If you're that hard up for cash you probably should give up home brewing, and drinking all together.

I don't intend to get into a pissing match. if you want to pay $35 plus SH and wait tell they have it in stock go ahead. Its just for those who want to tinker or want to make there own equipment with whats handy.

If we had the pertinent measurements for the disposable tank I bet we could figure something out on the McMaster Carr website. I am on the side of non "rigged" equipment that is under pressure but there is certainly room for experimentation. Also can someone post a pic the tank in question? Is it like a bernzomatic tank?

I started with this.
DSCN1061.jpg

disassembled
DSCN1062.jpg

these are the threads you are going to take down to half there height.
DSCN1063.jpg

put it back together (don't over tighten anything just snug)
DSCN1064.jpg

Back