Please review my plumbing schematic!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hightechlofi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the process of aquiring/designing my brewery. I have pretty much purchased the main components (ie, kegs as bk, mlt, hlt, and one pump), but before I start buying a lot more stuff, I want to make sure I know what I am getting in to, and that it will work. This will be a RIMS system, and I think I have the plumbing down, but I need some experts to review.

Here is the PDF.

The process flow that this schematic is based on is posted on my blog, here is the entry.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Something seems a little off to me, but I can't put my finger on it just yet.

What's your basic process? Is your HLT a powered (electric or fire) item or is it just an insulated cooler to hole hot water?

I've never understood the need for two pumps, so maybe that's what is hanging me up.

edit: nevermind... now I remember the need for two pumps (fly sparging). I batch sparge, which has me in a different mindset.

You're good. You have all the processes covered - HLT to Mash, Mash re-circ through HE, Mash to Kettle and HLT to Kettle. This is similar to mine in different order. :mug:

Walker, beings that I am a newbie, I didn't think about batch sparging. After doing a little reading, I think I am probably going to go that route. I really like the idea of only having to use one pump. Other than a little hit on effeciency, are there any other downsides (and I don't really think that is a downside considering the batch sizes I will be brewing)? What are the risks of pulling in tannins and such from the husks?

I've only ever batch sparged, but I consistantly get 75% efficiency on 5 gallon batches and have never had any problems with tannins.

I get higher efficiency on 10 gallon batches. About 82%. I think this is because I am forced (due to tun size) to split my sparge water in half and rinse with two half-sized batch sparges instead on one full-size batch sparge. There's no reason I can't split sparge water for 5 gallon batches and possibly up my efficiency there, too. (I've simply never tried it because the datapoint about higher efficiency on 10 gallon batches is new... I just recently did my first two 10 gallon batches.)

Look at it this way: you can buy one pump and try batch sparging. If you decide you don't like it for whatever reason, buy a second pump and upgrade your system so you can fly sparge. :mug:

Im in the process of building my RIMS and im considering a set up a bit like yours...

It seems like you wouldnt have a heating element in the HLT... And I imagine that because of that, you would be using the BK to get the HLT water to the desired temperatures and because of this you would have to do more "steps" by water transfers.... I´m planning on adding a heating element on my HLT, so I dont have to do that much of transfering, from BK to HLT...

Also Im considering using 2 PIDs... one for HLT, and another for the mash tun. Thinking of adding in the mash tun one that can do ramp, it´s like 30 or 40 dolars more expensive, but I think it would be a nice addition.

But anyway I think it´s gonna work just fine! Post some pictures as you develop it, so we can follow.

It seems like you wouldnt have a heating element in the HLT... And I imagine that because of that, you would be using the BK to get the HLT water to the desired temperatures and because of this you would have to do more "steps" by water transfers.... I´m planning on adding a heating element on my HLT, so I dont have to do that much of transfering, from BK to HLT...

It's just one single BK -> HLT transfer that he would have to do if he does not put a heating element in the HLT. I don't think that's a very big deal.

Latest posts

Back