Citra SMaSH IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
63 IBUs
1.054 (this is based on no sparge for all you geeks that were running to their calculators to tell me what numbers you're coming up with)

15 lbs Vienna

1.5 oz Citra FWH
.25 oz Citra 60 min
1 oz Citra 20 min

1 to 2 oz Citra Dry Hop

Mash at 152F

US-05

What do you think, sirs?

What's your batch size? 15lbs is a lot to just get 1.054. Seems like a waste of about 5lbs of grain. Guess i need to read up on no sparge.

What's your batch size? 15lbs is a lot to just get 1.054. Seems like a waste of about 5lbs of grain. Guess i need to read up on no sparge.

5.25 gallons. I work at the LHBS so I'm not worried about cost.

Is this no chill? Just for hop schedule factors.

Yes, it is no chill. I never post what my actual hop schedule is when I post a recipe as 99% of people here chill rapidly.

What's the AA% on the Citra?

Ours are 11.1 AA.

Well I might take the addition at 20 and put it at 10 and 5 to get some more of those lemon flavors, hell I might even get rid of the 60min addition all together and put that in at the end as well. 15lbs of vienna is a lot, traditionally I think of SMASH beers as more like session beers but why not make a big beer. The IBUs should balance the maltiness but it's not going to be terribly bitter with that grain bill. With a SMASH typically I think you want to showcase the hops so doing later additions is probably a good idea especially if your doing no chill, you might even consider doing flameout additions because of no chill.

Well I might take the addition at 20 and put it at 10 and 5 to get some more of those lemon flavors, hell I might even get rid of the 60min addition all together and put that in at the end as well. 15lbs of vienna is a lot, traditionally I think of SMASH beers as more like session beers but why not make a big beer. The IBUs should balance the maltiness but it's not going to be terribly bitter with that grain bill. With a SMASH typically I think you want to showcase the hops so doing later additions is probably a good idea especially if your doing no chill, you might even consider doing flameout additions because of no chill.

If I split and do 10 and 5 then those convert to FWH and Dry Hop in No Chill, both of which I'm already doing. A 20 minute addition is just like a flameout in no chill. I turn off the burner and throw them in, but they are hotter for much longer. It's the last point that a no chill brewer can add hops to the boil.

And like I said, I'm doing a no sparge so it only calculates to 5% ABV.

I think it looks good. You would be the best at determining if the hop bill is what it should be and if it will actually work in the no chill scenario. If it were me I might mash at a slightly higher temp say 154 but that's a rather small difference. What temp do you plan to ferment at?

I think it looks good. You would be the best at determining if the hop bill is what it should be and if it will actually work in the no chill scenario. If it were me I might mash at a slightly higher temp say 154 but that's a rather small difference. What temp do you plan to ferment at?

I was debating on the mash temp. I decided to go with S04 after I posted this and figured a little lower mash temp would help with the fermentables since the attenuation is less with that yeast.

5.25 gallons. I work at the LHBS so I'm not worried about cost.

Ok, your game your rules.

BUT cost aside, why would you waste all that grain? For discussion sake lets say you brew twice a month using this method, and you average using 5 lbs more grain than you would need doing no sparge Vs. Double Batch Sparge. At the end of the year that would be a little more than 2 55lb bags of grain. You could get 10-12 more batches out of that. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Is it that much of a time saver? or make a better beer?

Can't comment on the better beer part yet. I've only done this once before and that was last weekend. I've heard Jamil comment many times how no sparge brewing produces the highest quality of wort. It's basically the same concept as BIAB.

I can comment on time and yes it is quite the time saver. Mash, vorlauf, drain, boil.

Just trying some different methods.

Can't comment on the better beer part yet. I've only done this once before and that was last weekend. I've heard Jamil comment many times how no sparge brewing produces the highest quality of wort. It's basically the same concept as BIAB.

I can comment on time and yes it is quite the time saver. Mash, vorlauf, drain, boil.

Just trying some different methods.

Cool, That's the beauty of brewing. There's tons of experimentation you can do to find a method that fits you perfectly.:mug:

Well, I changed my mind on this one. Still gonna go all Citra put gonna throw a couple more grains in there. Going to start a new thread.

Chris, I just made a Citra SMaSH two days ago. 15 lbs belgian. and did 3/4 oz citra hops at 60,30, and 10 mins. Will dry hop with 2 oz Citra. Should be a nice brew. OG was at 1.076. Used US05 yeast

Doing a variation of this today. 2 gallons:

5 lb vienna
2 oz citra
1 oz cascade dry hopped

Back