DIY Sight Glasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
I'm going to need a sight glass on my HLT soon and it seems $40 is the average price--that seems really high for such a simple contraption.

Anyone have any pointers / parts lists / parts vendors for making one?

i think you can use any type of bulkhead fitting (welded, brazed, weldless...) then an elbow hooked to that with a compression fitting. then look on http://www.mcmaster.com/
for something like part number 8729K33 or any heat resistant glass tube of the proper outside diameter for the compression fitting your elbow is using. i think this is a cheap effective sight glass.
I havent tried this myself so I think the compression fitting should seal against the glass but I cant guarantee it.

You can calibrate a sight tube on your HLT for adding strike water. This way you know how much water you are adding to the MLT. You won't have to measure it out in a pitcher of some sort.

It's a tube that is on the outside of the vessel that shows you the current level of fluid. Good for seeing how many gallons you are currently boiling.

Bobby_M said:
Are you trying to integrate it into your thermometer bulkhead or go standalone? Do you have any bulkheads installed already? Are you going with a weldless setup?

I'd like to go weldless & standalone - the HLT is just an 8 qt aluminum kettle and it's easy to drill holes in it.

k1v1116 said:
i think you can use any type of bulkhead fitting (welded, brazed, weldless...) then an elbow hooked to that with a compression fitting. then look on http://www.mcmaster.com/
for something like part number 8729K33 or any heat resistant glass tube of the proper outside diameter for the compression fitting your elbow is using. i think this is a cheap effective sight glass.
I havent tried this myself so I think the compression fitting should seal against the glass but I cant guarantee it.

Thanks for the link--I'll check them out!

Brewing Clamper said:
Ok, I'll go ahead and sound like a noob since AG wise, I am: What do you need a sight glass for??

I thought the same thing before I started to use them. Now I can't imagine how I would measure kettle volumes without them. I just fill MT and HLT up to my required water levels that I've calculated for that brew. It's just so quick and easy. I used to buy water by the gallon and I'd have to measure or count etc. and it was more expensive by the gallon. Now i just stock up on the 5 gallon plastic carboys of drinking water that we use on a bubbler. I just open and dump until my sight tubes fill to my desires amount and I'm done.

They are also great on a boil kettle. I know exactly how much wort I've collected so I know approximately what my OG and FG will be based on much I boil off. It's also much easier to calculate how long I need to boil before I add my first hop addition.

MNBugeater

My sight-tube is very ghetto.

1/2" threaded fitting -> 1/2" elbow-3/8" compresion -> compressed to racking tube -> fastened to an old racking cane

Works fine for me, and total cost: $2ish + random stuff I had kicking around.

S

scoates said:
My sight-tube is very ghetto.

1/2" threaded fitting -> 1/2" elbow-3/8" compresion -> compressed to racking tube -> fastened to an old racking cane

Works fine for me, and total cost: $2ish + random stuff I had kicking around.

S

Have you had any problems with the racking cane cracking?

No problems at all... yet (-:

Nor has it clouded (4 batches, so far), and it doesn't get clogged with hops.

Either I've been lucky, or it just works.. <shrug/>

S

Well, I'm all electric so the cane stays below 100°C... No direct flame, and since the cane is outside of the vessel, it's actually a few degrees below the internal wort (convection... ).

S

Bobby_M said:
You can step it up a notch by using nice thickwall polycarbonate from Mcmaster or Usplastics.com

I appreciate the lead--I just ordered some 1/2"OD polycarbonate tubing from usplastics.....I had to buy 8', so I might be making a few of these :)

...we'll see how it all comes together.

Yeah, I meant to say that Mcmaster had the slight edge by offering 1/8" wall while US seemed to only have 1/16" wall. In any case, keep a few extra pieces for replacing when they get a little bent or discolored. It's cheap enough.

Bobby_M--Another thing I was wondering is what is the best epoxy to connect the polycarbonate to the metal L fitting?

No epoxy... Use a compression fitting with either a nylon ferrule or Orings instead of a ferrule. Something like this:

sightelbowexplode.jpg

Only you wouldn't leave the metal ferrule in there but rather pack 2 or 3 Orings in behind the nut. You tighten the nut, it compresses the Orings, making a nice seal and completely removable. They do make nylon ferrules that look like that metal one but I've never tried it.

maltMonkey said:
I appreciate the lead--I just ordered some 1/2"OD polycarbonate tubing from usplastics.....I had to buy 8', so I might be making a few of these :)

Lemme know if you want to get rid of a keggle size one. I'll reimburse ya for it.

maltMonkey said:

Have you got a link to that tubing? I can't seem to find the right stuff, all i found was tubing rated for 160*.

sigmund said:
Have you got a link to that tubing? I can't seem to find the right stuff, all i found was tubing rated for 160*.

Yeah, I had a bit of trouble finding it. I ended up searching for "polycarbonate" which eventually led me here.

Mcmaster links don't ever seem to work but you can refer to parts by the product ID and just search for it.

If you need 3/8" OD, go with 8585K51
Polycarbonate Round Tube 3/8" OD, 1/8" ID, Clear.

The one you linked is only 1/16" wall thickness as well.

If you want 1/2" OD, go with 8585K52
Polycarbonate Round Tube 1/2" OD, 1/4" ID, Clear
In stock at $1.54 per Ft.

I went with this from McMaster. I just bought a SS elbow with a compression fitting and silver brazed it to my pot. This tubing was a little bigger than the compression fitting ferrule so I had to sand down the end of the tubing a little bit. It has held up so far.

Part # 9176T12

DURABLE CLEAR POLYCARBONATE TUBING, 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD, 1/16" WALL THICKNESS, 2'L $2.16

tubing stands up to high-pressure applications. It is UV resistant and it&#8217;s clear, so you
can easily monitor the flow of your line. This tubing is made without
a plasticizer that can contaminate fluid passing through. Use with
water, air, and food and beverage. Material is FDA compliant. Not
rated for bend radius, sterilization, or vacuum.
To Order : Please specify 2-, 4-, or 8-ft. length.
&#8226; Temperature Range: 32° to 250° F
&#8226; Wall Hardness: Very hard (Rockwell R: 118)
&#8226; Use adhesives to connect
(see pages 3318-3320)
&#8226; Tensile Strength: 9000 psi
&#8226; Rigid

i just bought 1/2" polycarbonate and o-rings that bobby specified earlier. I had to buy 8' of tubing and 100 o-rings pm me if anybody needs some

Dang! McMaster-Carr is awesome. I've already received my package i ordered yesterday afternoon! Bobby_m that polycarbonate fits perfectly! thanks

They are! Got a parts order yesterday and they had everything wonderfully labeled. It was my first time ordering from them and I think they just earned my business. Now, if they just stocked 5/8 British PT couplers.......

I had things delivered to work and snuck in the back room and began construction:D here it is

2451917835_4012533c1e_m.jpg

Bobby_M said:
No epoxy... Use a compression fitting with either a nylon ferrule or Orings instead of a ferrule. Something like this:

sightelbowexplode.jpg

Only you wouldn't leave the metal ferrule in there but rather pack 2 or 3 Orings in behind the nut. You tighten the nut, it compresses the Orings, making a nice seal and completely removable. They do make nylon ferrules that look like that metal one but I've never tried it.

Where did you get the compression fitting?

Which elbow are you using for your sight glass? I was looking at McMaster's site and there are so many that I am not sure which one to go with.

I don't have any more 1/2" tube to 1/2"NPT but I have some 1/2 to 3/8 or 3/8 to 1/2.

The cheapest commercial place I know of to buy them is buyfittingsonline.com but I'll beat those prices if you want what I have.

Latest posts

Back