Mixing Lager & Ale Strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Et-OH

Reaction score
Just finished a partial mash batch. The problem is that I pitch WLP San Francicso lager yeast, when I really intended to pitch an Ale strain. Since I do not have the capability to keep the carboy at the lager temp, I pitch WLP California Ale Yeast too.

I know strains can be combined, but what do think will happen here?

WIll the lager yeast even be active at 65-70F?

Should I be worried about yeast bite or anything?

OG =1.062
1lb crystal 20L, 1lb crystal 40L, 1lb crystal 60L (simple 150F infusion mash, 1hr 170 sparge 1.5Gallons)
3lb amber extract, 3lb light extract
2oz 5.3 Domestic Golding (boiling), 1oz 9.5 Amarillo finishing

Thanks

Lager yeast will be active and fruity as hell. I've been horsing around with mixing lager and ale yeast and fermenting at about 60 degrees.... no results to speak of yet though.

There are those who feel that using a lager yeast at high temps is still better than most ale yeasts at the same temp. I'd relax about it, and see what happens. My guess is if you leave it in secondary awhile, you'll have pretty damn good beer.

The lager yeast will be active, and it won't affect the flavor at all. The ale yeast would produce more esters than the lager yeast.

In a worst case scenario I would increase your fermentation temps before moving to secondadry... that should allow the yeast to gobble up any off flavors.

You should bottle the beer w/o forced CO2 and let them sit in a fridge for a could weeks. Then your ale would be lagered(yes, you can lager an ale) by the lager strain, creating a crisper finish on your beer.

IMHO I love the SanFran lager strain.. its very versitile and clean.

Just did a 15 gallon batch of amber lager pilsner. My first true pilsner. Have made 3 lagers in the past.:
27 lbs. German Pilsner LME
3 lbs. Crystal 40 L
3 oz Magnum hops (60 min)
6 oz Tettenanger (10 min)
9 oz Hallertauer (aroma at 1 min)
3 Whirlfoc tabs (20 min)
12 oz corn sugar at bottling

WPL800 Pilsner Lager yeast, 2 LITRE Starter, pitched at 50 F.
1.058 OG :D

Correct! Original recipe called for 21 lbs. for 15 gallons. So, I added 6. Hard part was trying to synch and keep tabs on 2 pots at one time. Hope the temperatures stay cool for ferment.

Genghis77 said:
Correct! Original recipe called for 21 lbs. for 15 gallons. So, I added 6. Hard part was trying to synch and keep tabs on 2 pots at one time. Hope the temperatures stay cool for ferment.

Wow. wow. That is some seriously hard core brewing. Amazing.:rockin:

The biggest brew I have made. Brought a near 15 gallons to boil.(2 boil pots,) But, given the difficulty will stick to 5 & 10 gallons in the future. Hardest part was maintaining steep temp. If anything goes wrong a monumental waste awaits. Definitely not a good idea for kitchen brewing. I had thought of using 6 pounds of rice extract, but cost was actually less with added pislsner LME . With my equipment, best staying with 7-1/2 gallon or less boils.

Sasquatch & Digdan,
Thanks for the responses. I am less worried now about having an un-drinkable batch.
Lagers will still ferment decently down at 66F or so?
I have been struggling to get my FG below 1.015 (OGs of 1.056-1.062) with ale yeasts. I've been told this is due to the lack of consistent fermenation temp??

I just picked up a C02 tank and Cornelius that I was hoping to use on this batch, but I guess I'll bottle and lager like suggested. Gives me an excuse to do another round.

---
Primary1: No particular style just going for drinkability
Primary2: air
secondary: air
Bottled: California Common

Et-OH said:
I have been struggling to get my FG below 1.015 (OGs of 1.056-1.062) with ale yeasts. I've been told this is due to the lack of consistent fermenation temp??

How do you aerate? what was your OG? How much yeast did you pitch?

I think those are more important, unless the fermentation temps are way off, or differ greatly through out the day.

Latest posts

Back