BTBC Dark Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Basically a variation on Ed's recipe.

For 5 Gallons:

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use the stuff from Wal-Mart, works well.
2 pounds of dark brown sugar.
1 five gram packet of Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast

Directions:

1. Sanitize Everything!
2. Empty all but 1 gallon of apple juice into your carboy.
3. Bring that last gallon to a boil, remove from heat, and dissolve your dark brown sugar.
4. Let that cool a bit, and add it to the carboy.
5. Sprinkle your yeast on top.
6. Let ferment for at least a month (I let mine go for 2)
7. Bottle or keg (I bottled some, mostly still (no carb) and a few with 3 carbtabs.) You can carbonate it to whatever level you desire, or leave uncarbonated.

Tastes great, reminds me of a apple wine I tried in California on a visit there a while ago..

Its about 30% darker, the flavor is a lot more "mature" in my opinion, taste more like a fruit based wine than the original ... very smooth( of course this is all IMO)

I will try and post pics later of a glass.

I made a similar recipe, and it is dark. It almost looks the same color as fresh cider. I am still waiting for it to clear, but it tastes more like apple wine than it does have that winey/alcohol flavor.

Yes, still resurrecting threads. Have you ever added the brown sugar without boiling? Does it work out OK?

jkpq45 said:
Yes, still resurrecting threads. Have you ever added the brown sugar without boiling? Does it work out OK?

I made a batch last night without boiling, I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Had an OG of 1.072. Used light brown sugar, not dark brown.

jkpq45 said:

Could boil the sugar separate with just enough water to cover and add that to your juice. The little bit of water and heat I don't think would make much difference.

Forgot to mention, I used a champagne yeast. Also, I am looking to add cinnamon sticks to the carboy after fermentation is done. Any one have an idea on how long to add them for?

Chris7687 said:
Forgot to mention, I used a champagne yeast. Also, I am looking to add cinnamon sticks to the carboy after fermentation is done. Any one have an idea on how long to add them for?

I make something very similar to this. I add 2 three inch sticks for about a week before I keg it. It adds just a hint of cinnamon and isn't over powering. I would start with that and add more after sampling.

Thanks wmubronco. I will try that. I am going to bottle mine. Half still and half carbed up. Use the still to make warm cider once it starts to get cold... which for us Floridians is 60*!

Back