FG too high.. Fermentation stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just want to start by saying I did use the search feature and read a lot of info.. maybe too much.. now I am confused.

I made an AHS Orange Creamsicle Ale extract brew kit. I used White Labs Cream Ale Yeast Blend and made a 1000ml starter. The estimated OG was supposed to be 1.056 but I ended up with OG 1.062. It has been sitting in the primary for 5 weeks now. I went to bottle today and the FG was at 1.022, the estimated FG was supposed to be 1.011.

So.. I panicked a little and before reading up on what to do I thought it would be a good idea to re-pitch with some Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast that I had sitting in my fridge. The wyeast was from a washed yeast cake and I did not make a new starter when I re-pitched(probably a horrible idea)

To top it all off I had already added my priming sugar and the vanilla powder that came with the kit to 2cups of water and boiled and cooled it before I took my FG reading.

So my questions are did I screw up my brew by adding the American Ale yeast?

Should I add the sugar+vanilla to the brew and let it ferment out more to not waste the vanilla or should I just buy more vanilla powder?

I am still new to brewing.. this is only my 5th extract brew attempt and my first stuck fermentation so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any replies!

No, adding the yeast won't hurt anything and it won't likely lower your FG any either. Hold that vanilla sugar to the side until the 1056 clears and then bottle. Yes, your FG is high, but after 5 weeks it is what it is.

1.022 is not that bad. It's not what you wanted either.......My advice, brew another batch!

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess ill just wait another week for the American Ale yeast to clear and then bottle.

Can I take the sugar/vanilla water I mixed and save it for a week in the fridge then re-boil it for my priming sugar? Or should I buy more vanilla powder and priming sugar and redo it in a week?

Was it costly to make the sugar/vanilla mix? Are you strapped for space in the fridge? If so, save it. If not, make a new batch....Either way I don't see a problem.

Not saying it's ok, but you're not TOO far off the mark, since you're OG was .006 higher to begin with. It might not even be stuck, just done.

Do some searching there is a lot of information on calibration of Hydrometers and temperature effects. Was their any specialty grains?

What is the room temp of the fermenter. If not at 75 F already then I'd try to get it warmer starting with about 3-5 degrees up.

Thanks for the replies

Do some searching there is a lot of information on calibration of Hydrometers and temperature effects. Was their any specialty grains?

I am going to go get some distilled water today and test the calibration on my hydrometer, my first 4 brew attempts I hit my OG and FG numbers almost exactly so it didn't dawn on me that the hydrometer could be off.

Grain bill was:
8oz Flaked Corn
8oz Pale Malt 2row
4oz Carapils Malt
8oz Caramel/Crystal Malt
7lbs Pale LME

What is the room temp of the fermenter. If not at 75 F already then I'd try to get it warmer starting with about 3-5 degrees up.

I have a ghetto ferm box I made from a cardboard box and bubblewrap and blankets and a heater blanket so my temperatures do fluctuate a bit.
For the most part it was between 64-69 degrees for the 5 weeks. I thought I was supposed to keep it around 68, I didnt know it should be more like 75. I will raise the temp up today.

I would bump it up 3 degees to start for a week. That yeast is supposed to be good to 70 F but if it is not moving, and your almost there, then I'd bump it up a little. I have had stuck batches that unstick in the mid 70's with no flavor issues.

With that grain bill it does not surprise me you reached 1.062 OG and depending on how you mashed those grains it doesn't surprise me you have a FG of 1.022.

Your recipe is more of a Partial Mash then an extract. I am not sure how much you have looked into All Grain but if you mash grains at a higher temperature you will produce more unfermentables which is what it appears you have done. You will most likely not be able to lower the FG and you should continue with the beer as is you will be fine.

What was your process for adding the grains?

As Mr. Smith said, you could be done if you mashed high (155F+).

I'd take the fermenter out of your temp chamber and allow it to warm up. leave a week or so, take a reading and bottle. 1.022 is too high for me, but if it is unfermentable sugars, there is not much you can do. Drink it and take it as a learning experience.

Yes, keep the sugar/vanilla solution in the fridge and re-boil when you need it.

As Mr. Smith said, you could be done if you mashed high (155F+).

Ahh ok, yes I did mash around 155. I believe the water was 160 when I added the grains. I wrapped it in a blanket and it dropped down to around 154 after 45mins.

So I will let it sit for another week then bottle and see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies, this has been a good learning experience. Can't wait to start my next batch.

try for a lower temp maybe 148 or 152 depending on how far off you thermometer is.

Puff said:
Ahh ok, yes I did mash around 155. I believe the water was 160 when I added the grains. I wrapped it in a blanket and it dropped down to around 154 after 45mins.

So I will let it sit for another week then bottle and see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies, this has been a good learning experience. Can't wait to start my next batch.

Where I become curious is how did you only have a 5* heat loss when you added the grains? I'm not saying its not possible, but that sounds unlikely. When I'm shooting for 153-155, I'm looking at 165-170 strike water.

Are you sure you had conversion? If your strike water was 160, on my system youd end up around 148 or a little lower

motleybrews said:
Where I become curious is how did you only have a 5* heat loss when you added the grains? I'm not saying its not possible, but that sounds unlikely. When I'm shooting for 153-155, I'm looking at 165-170 strike water.

Are you sure you had conversion? If your strike water was 160, on my system youd end up around 148 or a little lower

Sorry, I was confused. I saw you say MASH, I assumed all grain. Disregard

Sorry, I was confused. I saw you say MASH, I assumed all grain. Disregard

Well even if you are doing a partial or even special grains you are still "mashing" the reason his strike water is 160 and only drops 5 degrees is the small amount of grain he is using. More grain = larger drop in temperature.

Hey everyone, I just want to start by saying I did use the search feature and read a lot of info.. maybe too much.. now I am confused.

I made an AHS Orange Creamsicle Ale extract brew kit. I used White Labs Cream Ale Yeast Blend and made a 1000ml starter. The estimated OG was supposed to be 1.056 but I ended up with OG 1.062. It has been sitting in the primary for 5 weeks now. I went to bottle today and the FG was at 1.022, the estimated FG was supposed to be 1.011.

So.. I panicked a little and before reading up on what to do I thought it would be a good idea to re-pitch with some Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast that I had sitting in my fridge. The wyeast was from a washed yeast cake and I did not make a new starter when I re-pitched(probably a horrible idea)

To top it all off I had already added my priming sugar and the vanilla powder that came with the kit to 2cups of water and boiled and cooled it before I took my FG reading.

So my questions are did I screw up my brew by adding the American Ale yeast?

Should I add the sugar+vanilla to the brew and let it ferment out more to not waste the vanilla or should I just buy more vanilla powder?

I am still new to brewing.. this is only my 5th extract brew attempt and my first stuck fermentation so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any replies!

Amazing... I search google for "homebrew FG too high" and this is the first thing that pops up... I search because I just racked my AHS ORANGE CREAMSICLE into the secondary and the FG was, wait for it... 1.022!

I did the mini mash kit. I was having heating issues... if higher heat equates to more unfermentable sugars then that is certainly my problem.

Maybe their FG is off...? Who knows, it tastes good, and if someone else have the same issue as me even better. First mini mash I did, I'm getting a better thermometer and will try another.

I may have the same issue. Using the same kit from AHS. I haven't taken the FG yet as the yeasties are still feasting. But when I pitched the OG measured at 1.066 which seemed really high. Yes I adjusted for temp. I have to be doing something wrong in my measurements just not sure what. Plugged all the ingredients into BeerSmith and it's saying the est OG is 1.053. Keep in mind I'm brand new to this. Only my 3rd batch.

I may have the same issue. Using the same kit from AHS. I haven't taken the FG yet as the yeasties are still feasting. But when I pitched the OG measured at 1.066 which seemed really high. Yes I adjusted for temp. I have to be doing something wrong in my measurements just not sure what. Plugged all the ingredients into BeerSmith and it's saying the est OG is 1.053. Keep in mind I'm brand new to this. Only my 3rd batch.

Did you add the required amount of water to have the finished amount of wort at 5 1/4 gallons, shake well then take your sample for the gravity reading?

Did you add the alcohol boost they sell with the kits as an option?

Desp said:
Did you add the required amount of water to have the finished amount of wort at 5 1/4 gallons, shake well then take your sample for the gravity reading?

Yes. I hadn't at first and got a much lower reading. But then adjusted.

Desp said:
Did you add the alcohol boost they sell with the kits as an option?

I did not for this kit as I wanted a lower abv beer for a summer session.

Back