Record for the highest extract OG ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob-O

Reaction score
Obvioulsy, I'm posting this because I think I've already won...My answer to come after a few responses confirm my suspicions.

While I know better than to say, "I've ruined it!" I will say that I'm going to have to do a little more than primary ferment for a week and bottle for 2 weeks...

You realize that yeast only work up until a certain alcohol % and then die, correct?
You will most likely be left with something far too sweet to drink.

You win.

Sure. But the attenuation won't change, nor the alcohol tolerance, of the yeast strain.

Some people have had good luck with fermenting with an ale yeast, then adding a champagne yeast once the ale yeast quits. Sometimes that works.

In a couple weeks I'll be checking where mine is at and possibly doing this depending on where I sit. I'm hoping I pitched big enough to take care of this and they should last up to what I need them to (right around 12.5%).

I'm starting to think that I mis-read my hydrometer, although I don't see how, despite the fact that it's the third I've ever done...

well... post up your recipe and what OG you think you hit. Its pretty easy from the ingredients to calculate the OG.

Ugh. I was afraid someone would ask that...it is with a great deal of intrepidation that I submit this:

6.6 lbs Briess CBW Pure Malt Extract, Bavarian Wheat, Liquid Malt Extract, Non-Diastatic, Unhopped
1 lb Brewer's Best Light Candi Sugar (during boil for 20 minutes)
0.5 lb Instant oatmeal, precooked (steeped in bag for 45 min @ 150, before Malt)
2 oz Styrian Goldings Hops
0.75 oz Brewer's Best Coriander Seed (Coriandrum sativum)
0.5 oz Brewer's Best Bitter Orange Peel (Aurantium amarae pericarpium)
0.5 oz Tettnanger Hops
<0.25 oz (5 g) dry chamomile (equal to 5 tea bags of pure chamomile)
1 Tbs white flour
1 teaspoon Irish Moss
White Labs Belgian Wit Ale Yeast WLP 400 yeast

I was going to leave out the Candi sugar, but then I thought it best to follow the recipe as is...

That one should be fairly low, around 1.050-1.060 if I had to take a quick guess. To put it into perspective, my recipe required 13.3 lbs of DME and a lb of sugar.

I appreciate that. Know what? I was very angry and flustered when I took the hydrometer reading (I took it inside the carboy because I forgot to sterilize the test tube, and any means of filling it, so I was pissed at myself already), and I think I just plain misread the hydrometer in my haste. See, I boiled the sugar and hops for 20 minutes instead of 10, and little mistakes like that go up my nose jagged, especially after a lot of research and prep work to AVOID such things, not to mention I was distracted by my preoccupation with waiting for my basement to flood (which it never did). It doesn't take long for the big rolling snowball of self deprecation to gather speed and suck up more material from the hill of despair and take everything with it into hell.

I'll let you know. Thanks for your time, everybody.

Rob-O. you have to realize that extract doesn't always mix well with the rest of the water and will settle on the bottom of the brew pot or carboy. if you draw your sample from the bottom it will be much higher than what it should be. conversely if you drew from the top it would be much lower than expected.

Did you make 5 gallons of beer? That recipe could vary from wild to mild if you did 2.5 gallons vs 5 vs 10 gallons.

Read away!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/1-200-20-120-minute-iipa-100549/

Its very sweet, very bitter, very aromatic. Its pretty much everything times like 4-5. The alcohol is certainly noticeable, but most people guess 10-12% when you ask them. I suppose you could drink one pint of this stuff, but you would probably be real buzzed. Its more for putting in a snifter and sipping away for a while. While its not EXACTLY "extract"... its around a 2row 10% malt bomb plus 12.5lbs of dextrose, simcoe, warrior, and amarillo. The malt was fermented with US-05 and Nottinghams, the dextrose was fermented down with WLP099 super high gravity until it stopped attenuating.

Latest posts

Back