MLT problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
Just ordered a 36 quart coleman xtreme cooler for my DIY MLT off ebay and the seller has messaged me to confirm that they have sold out.

He has offered me the 70qt coleman for same cost, by way of apology, but I'm not sure that this will suit me, I will be doing 5 gallon batches almost always, but will be batch sparging.

What do you guys think, cancel the order or get the 70qt at discount?

Cheers

I have the 70 quart Coleman Extreme too, but only use it for large grain bills on 10 gallon batches. It's a lot of room. I doughed in with 32# of grain last Saturday at 1.25 quarts per lb. and that's 10 gallons of strike water right there. I had about 2 inches of space left.

Unless you see yourself doing 10 gallon batches, I recommend looking for another 36 quart cooler elsewhere.

Thanks, that's decided it.

5 gallons for me, for a while at least as don't want to have to upgrade all my equipment for the sake of the tun.

I have ordered another 36qt of an online shop. Would prefer Ebay as I can use Paypal, but should be fine.

Thanks, that's decided it.

5 gallons for me, for a while at least as don't want to have to upgrade all my equipment for the sake of the tun.

I have ordered another 36qt of an online shop. Would prefer Ebay as I can use Paypal, but should be fine.

You should have gone with the bigger one. :(
I have the 80qt and it works great for 5 - 20 gal batches and I have the room needed for big and small beers. If you preheat it right the extra space is not a problem and with batch sparging the grain bed is not so importent.

I have the 70 colman, and i use it for all of my batches. if a recipe calls for a small grain bill, i usually scale it up to like 6 gallons to help, but i batch sparge and never had a problem with using the 70. i say go for it.

Some different opinions, but thanks for them all. I have plumped for the 36qt.

If I have 2 have 2 brew days back to back, that can only be a plus point :drunk:

I can boil maybe 7 gallons at once, so life and temperatures etc will be easier with this tun I feel.

Thanks

Back