Possible issues on new keezer setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipe99

Reaction score
Sirs and Ma'ams,

I received 2 1/4 barrel kegs 24 hours ago. They are now at 37/38 degrees and most pours are flat with large heads or half beer and half foam. Also they taste somewhat flat. I got a two tap tower and have a couple questions hopefully someone can help with. Here are some pics of my new setup. Not sure if they posted but here are my issues:

I have a 3" dual tower tap and it came with these semi-hard plastic 3/16 5ft extensions. With my keezer, the tap is almost sitting on top of the kegs so the plastic tubes are very bent coming out of the coupler. Could this cause flatness/foaming? When I close the lid, the hard plastic tubes are curled and bend/ get pinched at the coupler.

I have been adjusting the pressure +- 4 psi over past 12 hours, could this be problem?

Lastly, I notice that the beer lines are not completely filled with beer. I notice parts of the hard plastic tubing with no beer (such as the portion on upper curves).

Not to be a pretentious ****, but my friend is a master brewer or whatever and has won gabf and world beer cup gold medals and he said the crimped tubing shouldn't be a problem and that I was likely being impatient.

I am pissed with this flat beer or heavily foamed beer. Any Suggs?

image.jpg

Length of serving line. I don't know for sure, but most folks recommend at least 10 ft. Of hose - from what I see in the picture, you have much less length. I think this has to do with balancing the lines with the pressure and temperature in the barrels.

I hope this helps.

Crimped serving would most likely cause foam. What psi are the kegs at now? Foam could definitely be caused by short beer lines or lack of head pressure in the keg or the crimped lines.

Started psi at 14, now around 11-12. Length of hosing is 5ft from tap to keg, but curved

With 5ft lines, you're probably going to have to go down to 9psi to avoid excess foam. It may also be that the lines up in the tower are warmer than the rest of the setup. 10-12ft lines would likely help quite a bit.

Just to be sure, are these commercial kegs you are using (i.e., already carbed)? It looked that way from the pic and your description.

I have 8 ft lines but from time to time have the same problem. Most of the time because I over carbonated the beer. To see how much carbonation is in the beer this is what I do.
I degas the keg an then slowly add just enough pressure until I see the foam moving.I discard the foam and collect the beer that dribbled out and taste it. This will show you the true state of the carbonation.No you should be able to decide how to remedy your problem.
When I use my picnic tap which has about 5 ft line I only use 4-5 psi of pressure. You can also try to cool your beer further down to help to keep the co2 in solution.
Based on my experience if the beer was properly carbonated and cooled then foamy flat beer means the serving pressure is too high for the length of your beer line.

I think if you want to stick with the 5ft lines you might need to be even lower, say 6psi to reduce the foam. I also wouldn't be suprised if your crimped lines didn't attribute to the foaming as restricting the flow through the tubing can cause foam. It would be similar to opening your tap only half-way which does cause foam for sure! They do make low-profile taps which would give you a little more headspace for the lines, or you could build a collar out of wood and mount your lid to the collar to give yourself as much headspace as you need. When I first setup my kegerator I tried to use the lines that came with it (5ft) and could never overcome the foam problem. I tried turning down my psi to 4-5 (ended up with flat beer eventually), added a tower cooler (worked well, but too much condensation on the tower for me), and finally just replaced my lines with quality Bev-ex 12ft lines. No more foaming problem. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back