How to buy 5 gallons of beer for corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fauxtoe

Reaction score
I am having a house warming party soon but realized my kegs are running a bit low and was wondering if anyone knew how I could buy a corny full or beer or something along those lines.

Any ideas would help, I'd also gladly buy any beer off of a local Homebrewer in NYC. Thanks!

I know our local brewery will fill corny kegs. You could check that out.

go to a brewery and pick up a 1/6 bbl of something and get a sanke coupler for your system. they are roughly the same size.

Most breweries and brew pubs will fill them. Call and ask!

Zamial said:
Most breweries and brew pubs will fill them. Call and ask!

In the Napa Valley of beer (Fort Collins) I have found this to not be true. Hell, even one brewery didn't know what a corny keg was....

In the Napa Valley of beer (Fort Collins) I have found this to not be true. Hell, even one brewery didn't know what a corny keg was....

In my neck of the woods it sadly is the same. I called up the local brewerys and per their agreements with distributers, they are able to fill growlers, but not kegs of any sort.

I even asked "What if I call it a 5 gallon Stainless Steel growler?"
to which his response was "Nice try."

your best bet would be to get a disconnect in your corney setup and get the sankey conversion.. that way you can get a 1/6 of a local micro when your pipeline is low.. i haven't used mine in a while but it is nice to have

Here in Seattle, breweries fill Corny's. You have to drop them off and pick them up full the next day. They'll even wash them for you.
All states are different... if it's legal to fill corny's in your state, then obviously that's the easiest thing to do. Don't go out and buy a Sanke conversion, pay the deposit and buy the beer in a 1/6 bbl keg. That would be silly. Like Bmick said, call and ask.

Get a Sanke coupler and conversion kit. Basically it's two corny posts that attach to the Sanke coupler.
Sankeballlock.jpg

I found them at CornyKeg.com, but I know my LHBS carries them as well, so check around. That way you don't have to change your setup whenever you want a commercial keg.

EDIT: Some beer shops that sell kegs will rent out couplers, so you might not need to buy one of those, just the adapters.

There are also threaded nipples that can be beer nutted on so that it will work with your quick disconnects. I picked up a set at my LHBS for a couple bucks and a beer nut (they only tend to give you one with the sankey taps for some reason) and put it together rather quickly.

Back