Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may have already been posted, but...

I like Guinness. It's a decent irish stout that is widely available, and without it, nitro beers would probably be a lot harder to find. But it is fairly popular among the "lesser-refined" beer crowd. Lot's of folks who basically just drink the cheap American rice lagers also like Guinness. But the mystique surrounding it for them is kind of funny. I've heard many people talking about how !@#$ed up they've gotten on Guinness because it is so strong. But as us refined, completely non-snobby beer connoisseurs know, it is equal in strength to a Coors Light. Always fun to bring up this little fact when someone is talking about the strength of Guinness.

Wow! I've heard the same thing from a co-worker of mine who insists that Guiness gets him drunk faster than other beers of the same abv. He also tells me he enjoys "ice cold" Guiness in a 22 oz. frosted mug at his favorite restaurant. :mad: whatever!

It's not beer specifically but I couldn't leave this out... I've heard a bartender say "did you know cider is made from apples?"

Heard a guy once trying to act like a beer aficionado to his wife, went about like this....
"lagers are supposed to be served ice cold as possible, and pilsners too"

Another great one..." Why does Youngs put a ping pong ball in the can?"

Yea, reading some of the posts on here remind me about coming full circle in five months abotu beer. four months ago I would look down on people who drink BMC. Today, I don't, because the only reason why I don't drink BMC anymore is because I've tasted other things I like better, and going back to BMC is like drinking water---neither good nor bad, just not enjoyable for me. and I know some of the stuff I make, while many people into craft beers would enjoy it, some of the people I know would drink it and absolutely hate it. and that's fine. I drink what I like, and would try anything once. i've even heard people apologize to me for liking BMC stuff, and i tell them to drink what they like, and don't apologize to anyone because you like it--BUT, the critical thing is, be willing to try other things. if you go back to liking Bud Light, at least be sure to try other things.

the worst thing in the world IMO is to never try anything else.

Coworker at the pub the other day: "Dark beer has more calories"
She was drinking a Palm (172 cal/12 oz) while I was drinking a Smithwicks (150 cal/12 oz)

Of course they were serving mine in 20 oz glasses while hers were in those cute little Palm goblets

Reviving this thread because of something I saw the other day. I was sitting at an airport bar in Chicago and the guy sitting next to me orders a Sierra Nevada Porter. I immediately say, "Good choice" and give him some credibility. An instant later the bar tender asks if he wants a glass and he says, "No, just the bottle is fine." *facepalm* Same bar, different guy near the other end of the bar was doing the same thing to Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I respect everyone's right to enjoy their beer the way they want to, but if you're going to drink craft beer, why not enjoy it to its fullest potential?

I'm from the Midwest originally... When I told my mom I was brewing she said. "Do you make it in the bathtub?" I felt so ashamed that my mom thought I would partake in something like this but also knew that explaining the entire process would be lost in her complete disinterest for beer.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, because it's highly likely that I said something like that during my younger days. What I dislike, though, is if someone who says something like that is a jerk.

I do get bothered sometimes by the, "I prefer lagers." Or, "I don't like dark/hoppy beers." Then again, these are just people who have very novice-level beer terminology. If we didn't talk to them, the likelihood of them attempting to describe their likes would be greatly reduced.

What's wrong w/people that like lagers over ales? It's a taste thing. Me I don't like lagers unless they are dark lagers. No real taste now that I'm dark ale or hoppy ale drinker.

Bud Light Platinum. It's like 6% or something. People who like to get trashed think it's liquid gold.

I was in a brewery in North Carolina, sorry don't remember the name. They only brew German style lagers. All there eqipment came from Germany. Any way on the wall was this sign.

People who drink light beer don't really like beer.

They just like to piss a lot.

LOL Thought that was so funny.

Couple years back, my buddies and I were at the local brewpub when some chick walked over. Obviously drunk, she asked my buddy if he would buy her a beer...he refused but allowed her to try the hefe he had been drinking. She tried a sip and then stepped back with a disgusted face and said Ewwww! That's fat Beer! And walked away....

Ya know I'm not crazy about hefe's myself. Had a dark one once and it was ok and I"m talkin Fransiskaner (sp) hefes.

1)After offering a customer a micro brew lager. "I don't drink micro brew. It's too bitter."

2)Customer:"Is it light?"
Me: "Define light."

3)"Whatever so long as the tap handle's cool."

4)"At my wedding I want to have 1 keg of drinking beer like Coor's Lite and then 1 keg of great micro brew for beer snobs. Planning on Blue Moon."

5) "Don't be upset, I replaced all the beer I took." 12 pack of BL in my beers place.

A funny thing: I checked a post in HBT "funny things you overhead about beer" and everybody was quoting "negro modello" I think they meant "Negra Modelo" :p

This is funny, got me thinking, and I think I found him :D

sombrero.jpg

A buddy of mine, who occasionally strays a step or two off the BMC path....but never VERY far, says that he drinks Bud Light to rehydrate after a night of partying.

He's no beer snob by any means.....not even much of a connoisseur....but it's still funny!

I work for the railroad and had to go to Montana for a few months to work. One night I was on a trip, and my engineer and I got to talking about the fact that I brew my own beer. He said, "I don't like those faggy beers! I'm a man's man and drink manly beer...Bud Light man! Now that's a beer!"

I'd like to see him try and put down a Russian Imperial Stout...but it's probably too "faggy" for him. haha

Another night I had an engineer tell me, "I only drink stouts with really high alcohol content...like Guinness." I tried telling him that Guinness was only around 4% and really Budweiser is a stronger beer. He wouldn't listen though..."NOOOOO!!! It's like 10 or 11%"

Oh, man!
I had to add my story after that last one.
Was in a convenience store in Cleveland, Mississippi a few years ago.
A friend of mine was on staff at Delta State University at the time.
Keep in mind that home brewing is (I think) still illegal down there, and microbreweries have only been allowed for a little while.
In fact, I don't think that Lazy Magnolia even existed yet at the time.
Anyway, said friend had convinced this local convenience store to start stocking some better beers.
Nothing too major, but I know that Shiner Bock and Sierra Nevada were in the cooler.
So myself and two other folks are taking a few moments to peruse the limited selection, and one guy behind us butts in front of us and says "Excuse me. Don't know what y'all are standing around looking at. I'm just going to grab my Bud."
Another more, shall we say, "rural" fella was right behind him and basically did the same thing, but in a slightly less polite manner. Said "Nothing better than Bud. 'merikan!"
It cracked us up at the time, but later it dawned on me that here was this Southern boy making fun of us "un-American" Yankees, while he was the guy grabbing the European owned, internationally distributed, decidedly German/American-in-style Budweiser. We walked out with a sixer each of Shiner Bock (Texas!) and Sierra Nevada (California!). Can't get much more " 'merikan" than that!
:mug:

We walked out with a sixer each of Shiner Bock (Texas!) and Sierra Nevada (Colorado!). Can't get much more " 'merikan" than that!
:mug:

Well, it wasnt really overheard but I read it on an internet message board. Some guy who was making fun of uneducated beer drinkers said Sierra Nevada was made in Colorado. :D

Ooh, one more quick one.
Not really "overheard", but certainly relevant to the topic.
I work in Whitewater, WI, and there's a fairly new place in town with OK food but a few really fantastic things on tap.
It's the first and only of it's kind in town so far.
Anyway, the waitstaff goes from "OK" to "absolutely clueless" in their product knowledge.
With both food and beer.
You don't have to know everything about beer to work there, but please for the love of god know the products that you're selling.
There's only like a dozen taps. It's not that hard.
Anyway, they had "Red Hoptober" on tap, so I asked who made it (having never heard of it before myself). My friend and I had already bet that she wouldn't know and sure enough, she had to go check.
With this particular waitress, "I have to check" is ALWAYS the answer.
For some reason, the city was listed in the menu but not the brewery.
This one was Fort Collins, CO.
My buddy and I both look at each other and go "who's in Fort Collins?..."
*snap
"New Belgium!"
We'd figured that out before she was even halfway back to the bar.
I'm so happy that this place exists but by god, the owner (with whom I'm acquainted) REALLY has to get his staff to learn his menu.
We don't even expect them to tell us what it tastes like- just tell us what the god damn name of the product is!

Well, it wasnt really overheard but I read it on an internet message board. Some guy who was making fun of uneducated beer drinkers said Sierra Nevada was made in Colorado. :D
Haha. Oops. Yep, my bad. :p
I actually mix up Colorado and California breweries often.

Ooh, one more quick one.
Not really "overheard", but certainly relevant to the topic.
I work in Whitewater, WI, and there's a fairly new place in town with OK food but a few really fantastic things on tap.
It's the first and only of it's kind in town so far.
Anyway, the waitstaff goes from "OK" to "absolutely clueless" in their product knowledge.
With both food and beer.
You don't have to know everything about beer to work there, but please for the love of god know the products that you're selling.
There's only like a dozen taps. It's not that hard.
Anyway, they had "Red Hoptober" on tap, so I asked who made it (having never heard of it before myself). My friend and I had already bet that she wouldn't know and sure enough, she had to go check.
With this particular waitress, "I have to check" is ALWAYS the answer.
For some reason, the city was listed in the menu but not the brewery.
This one was Fort Collins, CO.
My buddy and I both look at each other and go "who's in Fort Collins?..."
*snap
"New Belgium!"
We'd figured that out before she was even halfway back to the bar.
I'm so happy that this place exists but by god, the owner (with whom I'm acquainted) REALLY has to get his staff to learn his menu.
We don't even expect them to tell us what it tastes like- just tell us what the god damn name of the product is!

Yeah,that tells me they are unprofessional and have bad management. A
resturant and employees not knowing the menu/beer menu suck. Even being new is no excuse for ignorance. I remember when there was a training wage also,not shure if that exists anymore.Not shure where im going with this.. but you get the idea. I hate when the menu states things on it that they dont permanantly have also.

Xpertskir said:

You gotta wonder why he didn't think its brewed in Nevada!

Well, I think Ive read they were going to open up a brewery in Tennesee,an maybe the east coast. Then that may change things.

I offered a buddy a pint off my Yuenglin pitcher while we were watching football last Sunday, and he responded "I don't like dark beer."

:hs::hs::hs::(

I have a buddy that no matter what style of homebrew I give him, he says: Wow this is great! It tastes just like Fat Tire!

I recently asked the barely legal waitress at a local watering hole what wheat beers they had on tap. She said she didn't really know but would ask the bartender. She returned about 5 minutes later with the reply that "all beers are wheat beers because that's the main ingredient".

See, I would have ordered an ale and then returned it after drinking half and saying... "This beer doesn't have any wheat in it. It's all Barley." Then order another... "This beer doesn't have any wheat in it either." After the third, I'd say... "Where are your all-wheat beers again?"

I went in to my LHBS a few months ago and Stan the main sales guy was shaking his head. A couple guys came in and wanted to buy equipment and supplies to make Bud Light. Stan told them... "It would be cheaper to buy it." They persisted and he finally said "I don't even know how to brew something as bad as Bud Light." I joked he should sell them a single light LME can and a pound of rice flakes, have them make a 5 gallon batch and then add an extra gallon of water after it finished fermenting.

I offered a buddy a pint off my Yuenglin pitcher while we were watching football last Sunday, and he responded "I don't like dark beer."

:hs::hs::hs::(

I had a glass of Yuenglin in a burger place in Ashvill N.C. It was so bad I couldn't finish it. Maybe I just don't like lagers that ain't very dark and have some flavor to them.

Yuengling Lager is definitely my session beer. Even though I'm definitely a beer snob, I still probably drink more Yuengling Lager than any other single beer. It's the best low-cost beer for my $$$.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of someone that hated Yuengling, that had drank it fresh and under good conditions. Invariably they seem to be at the edges of Yuengling's distribution, old bottles (I really wish they'd stop using green glass for the Traditional Lager, light exposure is a serious problem), or from dirty lines.

I wouldn't claim that it's the absolute best beer ever made, but it's a damned fine brew, and cheap to boot. It's what I typically reach for if I'm not drinking my own beer.

How bout this one?? "beer?? All beer tastes the same, nasty!" Thats what some of my family said until they tried REAL beer!

I had a glass of Yuenglin in a burger place in Ashvill N.C. It was so bad I couldn't finish it. Maybe I just don't like lagers that ain't very dark and have some flavor to them.

No, keep your mind open about the style of beer. This particular brand is not worth buying.

I just don't like when people say "dark beers". that's my biggest pet peeve.

Had a friend ( dedicated miller lite drinker ) say my Two Hearted clone tasted too " Beery "
I just shook my head and took it from him:cross:

Back