First Bad Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnzy02

Reaction score
So after brewing for roughly two years, i've finally done it.

I made a bad batch :mad:

Was supposed to be a Fullers ESB clone, it is far from being that.

Its got this awful cloying/bitter taste that is just.....awful.

I"m fairly certain i had some grain that got through my grain bag and was scorched. Was doing a PM BIAB, mashing on the stove top.

I figure i'll bottle it and let it sit, and hope for a pleasant surprise about 6 months from now ... but im not counting on it.

AmandaK said:
Cloying AND bitter at the same time? Impressive!

:mug:

Eh, yeah. It's hard to explain honestly.

It just leaves this awful residual taste on the tongue.

It's like a burnt malt sweetness mixed with an overly hopped beer that is just ... Blech.

DISAPPOINT!

It doesn't happen to me often, but I too make the occasional bad batch. Most recently an IPA that I just can't STAND. There's nothing wrong with it... it just sucks.

I did a partigyle Belgian that just came out thin and overly hopped... I've been cooking with it... also did an ipa a while ago that was everything I don't like in an ipa. fermented hot and had a slight tropical fruit flavor that would have been great in a wine cooler... I wound up kicking it anyway.

I brewed a pumpkin porter a few days before thanksgiving, but I brewed it inside of pumpkins. It went bad, but it was worth a shot, and want to try it again, or something like it!

Just brewed my own too - cardboard, metallic and astringent.

Hard to believe I over oxidized, didn't condition my aluminum pot and sparged too high all on one batch.

Wow, sounds like an epidemic of bad brews. I recently dumped a keg of bandaid beer. My first utter failure. It was supposed to be a Torpedo attempt, but failed miserably.

Ugggg, been there. Just dumped a Surly Bender tonight. Metallic and astringent smell and taste. Second bad batch of my career.

Made this one batch once, it was bad, see? But rest of dem came out better than perfect especially after a few.

I brewed a bad batch once, I just made up with a recipe and it just was boring. It didn't really suck but I would never drink it all so I watered the grass with it.

I had a brewers best pumpkin porter extract kit go god-awfully wrong in the early days of brewing (3rd or 4th batch). The worst thing was being naive and thinking it would age out, then forcing myself to taste a bottle every couple weeks till I just couldn't take it anymore a year later. I haven't had to deal with that again yet but now I know enough to call a bad batch.

What I decided went wrong was the 5oz. addition of pumpkin spice mix the recipe came with, I'm sure I was supposed to add a tbsp. or so but at the time I figured it came with the kit so it must be right.

It had to have been either a sanitation or oxidation issue. Moved it too much perhaps? Primary one week, secondary one week, then reracked to another carboy. Had a weird powdery ring (not mold) on the top of the beer when moved to rerack. Kind of like a lacing. Used JD Carlson Easy Clean to sanitize maybe I didn't rinse it all out? I thought that it was safe if a little residue of that is in the fermenter.

Perhaps just one more rinse would have done it. FYI, what's the best sanitizer that you guys use?

Pat

Well, my pumpkin ale turned out like crap, at least i have time to make another.

Just a bad recipe. still gonna drank it though.

Latest posts

Back