So I probably need to replace my auto-siphon then, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsweet

Reaction score
Second time using my auto-siphon I ordered from AHS, I got it clogged with hops. Not so clogged it didn't work, I was still able to finish the job. But cleaning it, in order to get the last little leaf fragment out, I ended up semi-accidentally popping out this little black plastic piece in the tip. I wasn't sure it was important, but assumed it was. After failing to get it back in, I set it aside (this was after a brewing session, so I was tired!) and figured I'd fix it with tweezers or something next time I needed it.

Now I can't find that little piece, and yes, the auto-siphon doesn't work without it. Do they sell replacements for that little bit, or am I better off just dropping by the LHBS and shelling out for a new one?

Oh! I found it!

Yeah, I put it somewhere I knew that neither the cats, nor the kids, nor even my wife would happen upon it and mess with it -- which meant I barely remembered where it was either. heh.

Now for the tricky part, getting it back in... Hmmm..

Try wrapping a 1gal paint strainer bag or some other filtering mechanism around the tip to filter out the hops.

BrewThruYou said:
Try wrapping a 1gal paint strainer bag or some other filtering mechanism around the tip to filter out the hops.

Will try that next time...

I have a wild idea for how to get it back in, but my 4 month old son keeps interrupting. Grrrr....

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer from Lowes. It works awesome when you transfer from a carboy as it actually forms a seal around the opening keeping nasties and fruit flies out.

_

The little oval plastic piece with two snap hooks on it?

If yes to above the best way to get it back in is to pull out the cane, drop the piece in and then take a needle nose pair of pliers and put it in position so that one of the snap hooks is in the slot its supposed to be in. Then take a socket from a socket wrench set that will fit down the tube and drop it in there while holding the tube at an angle so it doesnt drop super fast. When it hits the plastic oval it will pop it into place assuming you had the first hook in the right place. Works every time I try it.

I use a paint strainer bag or a voile bag also, but I put a little sink strainer inside the bag, so the tip of the siphon sits in the curve of the sink strainer, and the sides flare out so the hops don't clog the tip of the siphon or collect on the bag around the siphon, which can also stop the suction.

Here is a pic of the strainer, so you can kind of see what I mean. I got the idea from someone on here, and they also used a rubber band at the bottom to hold the bag & strainer tight to the siphon. I haven't had any issues just holding the bag tight.

Sink_Strainer_LG.jpg

I had the same trouble with my auto siphon during my last brew session. I eventually gave up on it and bought a new one. Wish i had seen the advice by shushikiary earlier

the easiest way I found to put it back in is to use a 1/4 dowel about 3 ft long then stand the dowel on its end then put the plastic piece on the end then slowly slid the cane tub onto the dowel and guide it into the snaps.

The little oval plastic piece with two snap hooks on it?

If yes to above the best way to get it back in is to pull out the cane, drop the piece in and then take a needle nose pair of pliers and put it in position so that one of the snap hooks is in the slot its supposed to be in. Then take a socket from a socket wrench set that will fit down the tube and drop it in there while holding the tube at an angle so it doesnt drop super fast. When it hits the plastic oval it will pop it into place assuming you had the first hook in the right place. Works every time I try it.

Great suggestion! I will try that when I get a chance.

Yesterday what I tried was tying a thread to each of the hooks, using that to maneuver it in place, and then pressing on it with a dowel. But the dowel was too flexible and it wouldn't snap into place, and in any case it wasn't clear if I could get the threads back off when it was in there. The socket solution is very clever! I'll give it a shot.

This just happened to me and a rifle cleaning rod works fairly well with some tape on the end. Got plugged with leaf hops I dry hopped with, and had to just pour into the bottling bucket. Hope its not ruined, time will tell...

Steve

That little black peice broke in my auto siphon so instead of throwing my siphon out i put a small marble inside the siphon its works a treat.

If you have the "Large" one you may find it keeps falling out. Just call the manufacturer and they will send you a couple replacements. The first one I bought had that problem and apparently about one in 1000 have the problem. BTW he suggested a stick with gum on it to get it back in and it worked great.

Now I can't find that little piece, and yes, the auto-siphon doesn't work without it. Do they sell replacements for that little bit, or am I better off just dropping by the LHBS and shelling out for a new one?

So why won't the auto siphon work if that little plastic piece come out?

That little piece is basically a backflow preventer. I broke the first one too. The difference comes in that its harder to prime the siphon because the wort flows back out of the autosiphon without the stopper.

Its usable but a pretty big pain!

ok, just asking because I was having a little trouble and broke mine this morning lol! Sounds like there's market niche out there for a better design. Wish I was an engineer.

I've snapped the damn thing in place 15 times (getting to be an expert at it) and it just won't stay in. I used a wooden dowel and some double sided tape thogh and that works for getting it to snap in place. But it must not be hooking well because every time I pull water in it comes right back out. grrrrr.

I popped the black piece out of my auto siphon while cleaning and used the antenna from my 1979 Mustang with some duct tape to put it back in place. I know that every one doesn't have a mustang sitting around, but you will probably find something that will work, and duct tape fixes everything.

-JWP

Back