Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She also got me the Tobacco aftershave and I use it everyday right after the whisky.

Using a combination of light steady strokes and buffing (I hadn't realized I was buffing until I saw a video).

Yep thats probably another "mistake" I made, going for the long strokes to get rid of as much as possible in one hit instead of the beard reduction I keep reading about :eek:. All in all it was a good shave and if this is what I can expect from my first go I can't wait to see what a little practice will get me ;)

I gave up. Beard ftw.

My father once said to me "why cultivate on your face what grows wild on your a$$?" I have fallen into this mindset for the most part, I have a goatee at the behest of my wife because when I'm clean shaven she says I look like a kid.

I just can't imagine shaving being so horrible that I had to resort to looking like Jeremiah Johnson.

My father once said to me "why cultivate on your face what grows wild on your a$$?" I have fallen into this mindset for the most part, I have a goatee at the behest of my wife because when I'm clean shaven she says I look like a kid.

I just can't imagine shaving being so horrible that I had to resort to looking like Jeremiah Johnson.

I am the same. I rock a goat and sport a bald head. I look silly like a kid without the facial hair and the **** that grows on my head makes a toupee look fancy.

I have tried a full beard and a partial beard (shaved neck) and I just feel, gross.

i used to do a full beard with shaved necked and then kept it trimmed short for the restaurant work...

its a little too hot in the summer and i would find myself wanting to scratch my face and contaminate my hands a lot... winter = beard. summer = smooth!

I am the same. I rock a goat and sport a bald head. I look silly like a kid without the facial hair and the **** that grows on my head makes a toupee look fancy.

I have tried a full beard and a partial beard (shaved neck) and I just feel, gross.

us goatee wearers have a decided advantage when it comes to DE/SE shaving. we don't have to mess with the delicate areas around the lips and chin when shaving. best of both worlds, IMHO.

No offense but you will probably hate me anyway... Goatee is kind of the new mullet. I suppose if you are over 35 thats ok and I am but I still feel like a 90s reject with one on. Even a moustache is cooler now. I like the beard tho. I just go down to a 3 for the warm months then let it go for football and hockey season. I look like grizzley adams its awesome.

No offense but you will probably hate me anyway... Goatee is kind of the new mullet. I suppose if you are over 35 thats ok and I am but I still feel like a 90s reject with one on. Even a moustache is cooler now. I like the beard tho. I just go down to a 3 for the warm months then let it go for football and hockey season. I look like grizzley adams its awesome.

I'm 37, been married for 13, have 2 toddler kids, 2 mortgages, and have had a Goatee for as long as I can remember being able to grow one.

New mullet? Who gives a bless? I'm not one to follow the trends in grooming or clothing.

GilaMinumBeer said:
I'm 37, been married for 13, have 2 toddler kids, 2 mortgages, and have had a Goatee for as long as I can remember being able to grow one.

New mullet? Who gives a bless? I'm not one to follow the trends in grooming or clothing.

You don't have to either. You can wear a mullet too. If you are married with children who cares if the chicks laugh at you? My wife likes the goatee, I told her I can't do it anymore. I suck at fashion too believe me. Jeans and tshirt.

I think the downside to sporting a beard currently is that every college guy is rocking a dirty, scraggly, terrorist-looking beard and aviator sunglasses.

I can appreciate a solid beard, as long as it is maintained, it makes all the difference between class and unabomber-esque

I think the downside to sporting a beard currently is that every college guy is rocking a dirty, scraggly, terrorist-looking beard and aviator sunglasses.

I can appreciate a solid beard, as long as it is maintained, it makes all the difference between class and unabomber-esque

I really liked the look of the beard Jeff Bridges wore in Iron Man. Had a look of maturity and sophistication without any of that Adirondak appeal.

Tried it. Hated it. I always felt dirty, grungy, and oily. Like a solid days highway ride on motorcycle. Blech.

If it were 118° there and you worked in the heat, would you wear a beard?

but scoob it's a dry heat. i don't know so far my beard only comes out in the winter and normally by summer time i can't stand it any more. we'll see this year.

I was sporting a friendly for a while... people kept saying how that i need a motorcycle to be able to wear one. :(

i shaved it off because we had a corporate inspection and i had to actually wear chef whites...

I would sport a full beard if I could grow one and not look like that guy with a beard that shouldn't have one.

Anyone use a straight razor?

i did for years, and if maintained correctly, gives the best shave IMHO. but the DE/SE are a close second. straight razor shaving is a blast, but a little more maintenance is involved. i'm in the process of getting my straights back up to par so i can start using them again.

I would love to give a straight a try, I have no idea what all I would need to buy though.

They make straight razors that have disposable blades, I go to a barbershop that uses them. It would be a good way to try it out with out investing in a strap and a quality razor.

So what If I maybe shaved off my beard
And my electric was ready to be replaced or I could buy something else. Which way would you go? Straight DE or what? How did you learn you technique?

technique on a DE isn't too hard but its very similar to sharpening knives... at least thats how i looked at it.

youtube has some videos. badgerandblade.com has a lot of helpful stuff as well.

getting into DE can be super cheap. i got a new razor, sampler pack of blades, brush and soap shipped for $60 going low end. you can ebay/junk shop a lot stuff. your local pharmacy may even surprise you.

on a different note, thumbs up to personna reds and thumbs down to the merkur blade that came with my 1904.

Nice I will atleast look into it. Using a straight does seem interesting but the learning curve seems steep

I blame ya'll.

I now have en route:
A Gillette Fatboy
A Gillette Tech
A sample pack of razors (Feathers, Astra Platinum, Red Personnas, Derby Extras, Crystals)
A Badger Brush from Tweezerman (reviews well and cheap)
Acca Kappa 1869 Almond Shaving Cream

I blame ya'll.

I now have en route:
A Gillette Fatboy
A Gillette Tech
A sample pack of razors (Feathers, Astra Platinum, Red Personnas, Derby Extras, Crystals)

Congrats on the purchases!

I'm not a big fan of Derby's and I can't afford Feathers. Sharks and Personas are my favorites. The Tweezerman is a great first brush that I use every day.
Look into an alum block for the inevitable nicks, can be had on Amazon for reasonable cost and much better than a styptic.

Much like brewing...shaving with a DE is an art.

I blame ya'll.

I now have en route:
A Gillette Fatboy
A Gillette Tech

Nice! a Gillette Tech and an adjustable Fatboy? That is a nice combo indeed!

I love my early model Tech loaded with a Feather. the early Techs have the triangular holes as opposed to the rectangles of the later versions, it is also the most agressive of the Techs, this combined with the silly-sharp Feather results in a baby butt smoothe shave with no irritation.

I have the 8 dollar 'Shea Moisture' badger brush from Target and I am loving it, a proper prep and break-in got the brush shave ready in a day, I soaked it in dishsoap and hot water for 4 hours, rinsed well and repeated for another 4 hours, rinsed well and built some lather in a bowl and let the lather dry on the brush overnight. rinsed the next afternoon and there was NO wet-dog smell to the brush.

I would look into the blades and try them out in order of least to most agressive as far as sharpness. I have a couple feathers for getting a spectacular shave, but for everyday shaving I use the cheapie Walmart Wilkenson Sword blades, under 2 dollars per 10 pack, and I get a great daily shave from them after giving them a strop on a wine cork to smoothe the edge.

after first trying DE shaving, then going mostly SE shaving for a while, i'm back to DE... i love the closeness of SE shaving with one pass, but it can be a tad aggressive at times. i've been honing my technique on the DE razors (i have an old tech or aristocrat, i'm not sure which, and a 1960 Super Speed) both of which i've been enjoying with my apocalypse pack of 100 derby blades. i also recently ordered a sampler pack including sharks, feathers, 7 o'clocks, and a few others. but the 3 listed i'm interested to compare with the derbys.

Nice! a Gillette Tech and an adjustable Fatboy? That is a nice combo indeed!

I love my early model Tech loaded with a Feather. the early Techs have the triangular holes as opposed to the rectangles of the later versions, it is also the most agressive of the Techs, this combined with the silly-sharp Feather results in a baby butt smoothe shave with no irritation.

I have the 8 dollar 'Shea Moisture' badger brush from Target and I am loving it, a proper prep and break-in got the brush shave ready in a day, I soaked it in dishsoap and hot water for 4 hours, rinsed well and repeated for another 4 hours, rinsed well and built some lather in a bowl and let the lather dry on the brush overnight. rinsed the next afternoon and there was NO wet-dog smell to the brush.

I would look into the blades and try them out in order of least to most agressive as far as sharpness. I have a couple feathers for getting a spectacular shave, but for everyday shaving I use the cheapie Walmart Wilkenson Sword blades, under 2 dollars per 10 pack, and I get a great daily shave from them after giving them a strop on a wine cork to smoothe the edge.

I am also becoming more fond of my cheap, drug store boar hair brush than I am of the Merkur silvertip. the coarseness of the bristles make for some easy to whip up foam, and I am less concerned about abusing that brush.

The mens shaving section at any drug store I have seen has gone to crap. I remember going with my grandfather a couple of times when I was a kid and he would carefully choose aftershave and shaving soap.

So I broke into the sample Feathers I had for an interview... It taught me I was doing things wrong. Second shave with it was fine... glad I did the first one a day before the interview!

So I broke into the sample Feathers I had for an interview... It taught me I was doing things wrong. Second shave with it was fine... glad I did the first one a day before the interview!

Feathers are one of the only ones that I still want to try. Just those and a couple other 7oclocks and I will have covered just about all I want to try.

I am also becoming more fond of my cheap, drug store boar hair brush than I am of the Merkur silvertip. the coarseness of the bristles make for some easy to whip up foam, and I am less concerned about abusing that brush.

I hate my cheap drug store brush. I am going to try and make a brush as soon as I have enough free time to go use my buddies lathe and decide what kind of wood I want to use.

Sadly it'll probably be next Friday or Saturday before I try wet shaving. I get home Friday, leave for another town on Monday.

Gotta keep the lights on, even if I'm not home to see em.

The mens shaving section at any drug store I have seen has gone to crap. I remember going with my grandfather a couple of times when I was a kid and he would carefully choose aftershave and shaving soap.

Yup. Pretty much have to find a specialty shop or just buy online. However, you should also consider the bath&body, bed, bath&beyond, et al..

I have found that many of those do have a small section of products for men. Usually CE Bigelow stuff which is really just Proraso.

I have been enjoying the CO bigelow shave cream, four drops of EVOO every time I build the lather, It has been the best addition to my process! I have taken to using the olive oil as a pre-shave if I am using hot towels when I cannot shave right out of the shower.

If you are looking for a good entry level brush, pick up a 'Shea Moisture' badger brush at Target, they are like 8 or 9 dollars, and after a good break-in cleaning I find it to be pretty nice, not silvertip soft but much nicer than a boar.

Some other things I have been doing lately:

I now strop the blades on a wine cork to smoothe out the blade prior to that first shave.

I keep my ceramic lather bowl (AKA rice bowl) on a coffee cup warmer between lathers to keep the lather nice and hot. I really enjoy having every application of lather being nice and warm.

I have gotten to know the random directions my beard grows in a bit better. It improved the quality of my shave a lot because I am no longer going ATG on a first pass where I should be going WTG. My neck hair changes direction mid-throat and was always tough to get BBS there.

If you ever get the chance try Truefitt and Hill pre shave oil. It is easily the best out there.

Back