Powder Coating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caskconditioned

Reaction score
Should I get my brew frame powder coated? I've had it for about 5 years (see gallery for pics) and have re-painted it twice now (using high temp spray paint). But it's starting to show rust rings (under kegs) and chipping. I thought it would look really cool and withstand more abuse if it's powder coated.

If I do go that route, do i need to sand all the old paint off? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many companies that powder coat will do the prep work, but you will need to remove any fittings. Also I would take some temperature readings from the metal around the burners to make sure you won't need hi-temp coatings.

you must use high temp powder, regular powder will just burn right off around the burners when exposed to 600 degree+ temps, hi temp powders usually can withstand 1000-1200 degree temps continously like on exhausts etc. any powder shop should have some hi temp powder, if not they surely can get it for just a couple dollars more than regular powder, it also takes less bake time in theyre oven as well.

PC is well worth it. You can find custom coaters to do some really cool stuff with it or a job shop to do simple black etc. There are over 5000 powder colors now and a good coater can do anything from ghost images to stenciling.
All the paint will have to be removed, surface profiled(sand blasted), pretreated for rust then coated. Depending on where you are and what you want you can expect to pay $100+.

I sure hope hes not still contemplating this >2 years later...

you must use high temp powder, regular powder will just burn right off around the burners when exposed to 600 degree+ temps, hi temp powders usually can withstand 1000-1200 degree temps continously like on exhausts etc. any powder shop should have some hi temp powder, if not they surely can get it for just a couple dollars more than regular powder, it also takes less bake time in theyre oven as well.

My brewstand is evidence that you do not have to use high temp powder. Yes, regular powder will experience bubbling, cracking, etc when exposed to directly to flame (this means that the flame it touching the brewstand), but can you show me a brewstand that is exposed to direct flame? If it's only a couple dollars more, then it shouldn't be an issue, but is it really only a couple dollars more?

Back