what is goin on with this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brynerdoor

Reaction score
I made an imperial blonde ale several times in the past that all turned out great, i recently made another batch but tried something new, i put more malt and a stronger yeast strain wyeast belgian strong, its been in my secondary for a little over two weeks and the gravity hasnt changed much, it still reads 1.016. is this normal?:drunk:

what's the issue? 1.016 sounds pretty low for an imperial anything.

I was thinking the same. What was you OG? and how long in general has it been fermenting both primary and secondary?

I will defer to a veteran brewer on this as we may be looking at a stuck fermentation here or it may simply just be done.

That's about 6.9% ABV. 1.016 is pretty low, but you can try to raise the temp of the secondary fermentor a bit after re-suspending the yeast and see if it drops anymore.

well its the first time i made anything this strong i didnt really know what to expect, i was thinking i would end up with around 8.5%

What was your mash regimen, assuming this was all-grain? If there are no more fermentable sugars, then it's not going to get any lower. If it was extract, I've always had a hard time getting extract beers real dry.

it would have to drop down to about 1.005 to get to that %.

also, you said that the the SG hasn't changed since you put it in the secondary. Thats how its suppossed to work. the gravity should be stable before you transfer to the secondary.

Back