Beer and Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I've heard that light ruins beer. If that is so, I guess I should cover my carboy with a paper bag, right?

The light causes the beer to become skunky, has something to do with the hops, but im sure someone elce will chime in with more info.
I use the box the carboy came in to keep mine covered.

next time you buy a carboy (if you stick with the hobby you'll someday have a small army of them) save the box it comes in. trim off the bottom and cut a nice little square on top for a perfectly sized over-the-top-applied fermentation-lock carboy cover. do the same plus seam it top to bottom for a blowoff tube "hinged" cover.

Fiery Sword said:
...next time you buy a carboy save the box it comes in... trim off the bottom and cut a nice little square on top for a perfectly sized over-the-top-applied fermentation-lock carboy cover...
That's a really good idea, but cardboard tears eventually...cover it with an old sweatshirt.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
That's a really good idea, but cardboard tears eventually...cover it with an old sweatshirt.:D

Yeah i just toss a couple of blankets on my carboy, also help to insulate it :)

mine all have old teeshirts or flannels on them. the shirts with buttons are easier to put on and take off...

I cover my carboy with a dark 35 gallon trash bag. I wrap it around the tank and tape it in place.

Bottled:
1. Irish Stout
2. Pale Ale
3. Easy Wheat

Back