uh oh...I soaked oxi clean in my aluminum brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
It looks like it sort of ate away part of the bottom.

It said I could use it "outdoors" so I thought it would be fine on aluminum.

After I saw what it had done however, I found some small print that said not to soak metals.

I dont care about the cosmetic part, I just want to make sure this thing is safe to use.

Rinse the pot. Give it a wipe with a cloth or rag. Fill it up and re-boil.
It should be fine.

I spent a lot of time last week looking at PBW and Aluminum. From what I found PBW is OK to use on aluminum as long as you don't make it shiny (which is the same standard that applies to any cleaner with aluminum).

I know Palmer says its OK, and I there was also a post by Revvy that said it was OK.

I just checked the tech sheet for PBW on the Five Star website. It states that PBW is safe on aluminium. I've soaked my pot with PBW and noticed no change in the oxide layer. Even if it was removed, I don't see why you couldn't just correct the problem by baking the pot for awhile to build it back.

Is oxyclean safe to use on my stainless brew pot? I neglected to clean it last brew day now its all crusty and stuck. I'm thinking its fine since stainless is corrosion resistant based on its oxide layer, but I didn't know if oxyclean was too powerful.

I should really know this.

Is oxyclean safe to use on my stainless brew pot? I neglected to clean it last brew day now its all crusty and stuck. I'm thinking its fine since stainless is corrosion resistant based on its oxide layer, but I didn't know if oxyclean was too powerful.

I should really know this.

I soak my keggle in oxyclean after I use it. You should be fine.

I just checked the tech sheet for PBW on the Five Star website. It states that PBW is safe on aluminium. I've soaked my pot with PBW and noticed no change in the oxide layer. Even if it was removed, I don't see why you couldn't just correct the problem by baking the pot for awhile to build it back.

PBW removed most of my passive oxide layer. Not the end of the world, but it's a pain having to reboil water.

Heh, my kettle is WAY too big to fit in the oven, but thanks for the thought. My natural gas is free though, so I can just stick it on the stove for the ~6 hours it takes to boil and forget about it.

Back