Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I'm going to be using the following grains for my next brew.

7 lbs DME
.5 lbs 40L Crystal
.5 lbs Carapils

I have a big supply of homegrown cascades that I'd like to use. I want a fairly bitter and hoppy pale ale... maybe 60 IBUs. What would you suggest for hop additions? Should I grab some pellets for my bittering so I know my IBUs a little better? Throw out ideas on what you would do. Remember add as many cascades as you like.. I have plenty. Thanks!

yeah, i would go with something you know the alpha acid content for bittering, so that you can determine your IBUs. flavor and aroma additions won't contribute too much to final bitterness.

My vote:

Take a bunch of your cascades (~3 oz), divide them into 15 little piles, toss a pile in every minute for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Get them out of the bath and wring them out really good when the boil is over. Gives you the whole spectrum of hoppy goodness...

/Better yet, do it for 20 minutes!

If you really want to taste the rainbow with your leaf hops, I'd probably throw an half an ounce to an ounce in as first wort hops, continuous hop through the boil and then throw a handful into a strainer inside a funnel as a makeshift hop back and run your hot wort through it after flameout on its way to cooling (if you're using an immersion chiller, just use another vessel) and then dry hop in whatever way pleases you. I'd probably keep the continuous hop portion down to about 3oz total to keep from getting overpowered by the boil additions...

Back