Oatmeal stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite8

Reaction score
Hey their i am an all grain biab brewer and am enjoying it very much. I have used northern brewer's kits (sometimes with tweaking) with good results in the past and i now have the desire to do an oatmeal stout. The reviews on their oatmeal stout said it was weak tasting and i wanted a full flavored version so i made some changes and wanted to run my final recipe by the knowledgeable brewers out there.

8.5 lb Maris otter
0.5 lb english roasted barley
0.5 lb english dark crystal
0.5 lb english choclate malt
1.5 lb toasted flaked oats
1.0 lb belgian debittered black malt

Mash at 154 for at least an hour, mash out at 170 for 10 min

hops i currently have on hand: 1 oz of glacier and 2 oz of centennial hops. The NB recipe calls for just 1 oz of glacier hops for 60 min, my calculator says the IBUs will be well than the style guidelines, but as long as it taste good it doesn't really bother me. Is the 1 oz of Glacier (aprox 5.5aa) going to be enough?

predicted OG 1.065
FG 1.016
abv 6.3%
bitterness 22
I am okay with this being a big full flavored brew just looking to see if there are any fatal errors.
Thanks team

I would suggest dialing back the dark malt a bit. Your are at 16% which IMO is more than necessary, especially with that pound of black malt. A quarter pound of that would be sufficient although my preference would be to just use a little more of the roasted barley and chocolate malt. Add that missing 3/4 pound to the pale malt weight.

Maybe you could further describe what you mean by full flavored brew. If you want big mouthfeel and residual sweetness, I'd suggest mash high like 156-158, and more caramel/crystal.

Personally I'd ditch the black malt altogether but that's just me. I'm not a fan. I lean more toward the Southern Tier style.

I second dialing back the black malt. maybe use a quarter pound or less if you want it to be suuuuper black, otherwise i'd cut it out. I'd also raise the roast barley and chocolate malt. I make more stouts than anything and I've found that oftentimes less is more, especially lower gravity brews. Also, if you're shooting for 1.065ish, I'd up the ibu a bit and use the centennials instead... I really like Nuggets in my oatmeal stouts but that's just a personal preference (I Love Centennials too). Cheers!

Thanks to everyone for some very good suggestions. I'm excited to get this one going. Adjusted recipe follows.

8.5 lb Maris otter
0.5 lb english roasted barley
1.5 lb english dark crystal
0.5 lb english choclate malt
1.5 lb toasted flaked oats

Mash at 156 for at least an hour, mash out at 170 for 10 min

1 oz centennials for 60

predicted OG 1.065
FG 1.016
abv 6.3%
bitterness 35
I do want plenty of malty rich flavor so i upped the crystal and mash temp.

thanks again :cheers!:

Back