Bread flavor in my Kolsch - possible causes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reshp1

Reaction score
I tasted a Kolsch I made a little over a month ago and it was pretty good. It had the nice delicate fruity flavor and aroma, but one thing I didn't like was there was a bread flavor that was too dominant for the style. It's not an off flavor really, as it would probably be desirable in other styles, but really detracts from the cleaness I wanted in this beer. What are the variables for controlling "breadiness" in beer as far as ingredients or process?

The recipe is:

7lbs 2-row
2lbs pale malted wheat
12oz Munich
4oz Crystal 10L

I mashed in at 140F for 40 mins and attempted to get to 158F by infusing boiling water, but being my first AG, I futzed with getting up to the next step for a good 15 minutes with multiple infusions and still only managed 155F, and rested there for 20 min.

That Munich may have something to do with it. Switch that to Pilsner malt next time, and see if that improves your recipe.

Also, what yeast did you use, and how did you ferment it? Breadiness also can come from fermentation.

TL

TexLaw said:
Also, what yeast did you use, and how did you ferment it? Breadiness also can come from fermentation.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I used Wyeast Kolsch 2565

I have heard munich can be too malty in this recipe and a honey malt might be a better substitute. Is the 2 pounds of wheat problematic? I've seen a lot of recipes with only 1 lb

How long did you chill the beer prior to serving?

How long did you let the beer cool condition in the secondary?

Excessive breadiness can sometimes come from suspended yeast in the beer.

A good long cold condition before serving can clear up the beer and yield a cleaner taste.

I usually make a point of at least 1-week in the fridge if I know I'm going to be serving a beer.

I too say its the munich. I usually put vienna in my kolsch, but only 1 lb.
You can probably reduce the wheat to 1lb. its more for head retention and keeping the beer light and crisp..but the extra lb isn't the problem with the bread flavor.

BierMuncher said:
How long did you chill the beer prior to serving?

How long did you let the beer cool condition in the secondary?

Excessive breadiness can sometimes come from suspended yeast in the beer.

A good long cold condition before serving can clear up the beer and yield a cleaner taste.

I usually make a point of at least 1-week in the fridge if I know I'm going to be serving a beer.

It's been sitting in my basement closet for about a month, which with the door closed is ~45F. Right before kegging, I put it in an ice (snow actually) bath for a couple days to cold crash most of the yeast out. I kegged it Monday night, force carbed

I've sinced bottled from the keg and I'm going to leave it sit in the fridge for a while to see if it'll clear up a little more. It's a bit cloudy still, although I think it's chill haze, not yeast.

Some bread is good, but if it is too toasty I too would look to the Munich and go with Pilsner malt. It probably doesn't need the wheat either.

Back