Growth in Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iam

Reaction score
I have a few bottle of home made ice wine that were given to me. There is some type of small growth floating in the bottle. Can it be filtered and drunk? Is it safe to drink? What can the "floaters" be? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

I'll have to try to get the pictures tomorrow during the day. I am having a hard time getting them in regular house light, even with a flash. Any suggestions on the best way to get a photo?

I guess you would have to ask yourself....Do you really want to drink something that has microorganisms growing in it???

Is it actually something growing in it, or couls it be sediment from bottling before it was totaly clear?

I got some pretty good pictures. The wine is a Blush Ice Wine. I gently shook the bottle and the big clump of "stuff" broke down into very tiny specks. Not sure what is going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

100_0395.jpg

100_0397.jpg

100_0398.jpg

100_0389.jpg

its just pulp/sediment. When you earlier said it was a growth I was alarmed. It should be safe to drink but don't come after me if you get sick.

Not sure if it is pulp/sediment. When the wine was bottled the wine was clear, lighter and tasted very crisp. There was no noticeable pulp or sediment in the liquid. Any other ideas anyone?

doubt it. its probably just residual sediment. When you first bottle wine, it may look clear and then it will start dropping sediment in the bottles...id drink it up

I'll send you a bottle. You drink it first and tell me what you think.

lol If you aren't going to taste your own wine what makes you think I want too?? I am just giving my input on what I think it is. I don't think its anything serious but I can't be 100% sure so I guess you will have to decide what you want to do with it.

Honda88 said:
I guess you would have to ask yourself....Do you really want to drink something that has microorganisms growing in it???

You mean like almost any homebrewed beverage?

Most of the time when beer/wine is stored improperly mircoscopic protiens/fatty acids will congeal and start to clump.
This could be from high temperatures, large temp swings and/or direct sunlight.

If you've ever had a wine where it tastes grainy and theres sediment left in the glass this is the same thing.

Cheers!

I'll send you a bottle. You drink it first and tell me what you think.

FYI, pathogens cannot grow in anything above 2-3%ABV. This includes anything that can harm you....why do you think everyone drank "ale" instead of water 100s of years ago??

It was safer than the water even when it was infected with pedio/lacto/brett!!

FYI, pathogens cannot grow in anything above 2-3%ABV. This includes anything that can harm you....why do you think everyone drank "ale" instead of water 100s of years ago??

It was safer than the water even when it was infected with pedio/lacto/brett!!

assuming that he/she properly fermented the must and verified this by taking an original gravity reading and an end gravity reading.

Thank you for all the replies. I have a few bottles I can send to anyone who wants one. Examine it, taste it, test it, whatever. If you are still around afterward email me and let me know how it was. I make no guarantees as I don't know what the "floaters" are. Maybe afterward I will get up the courage to taste it myself. I did however drink it before the floaters appeared and it tasted absolutely wonderful.

Thank you for all the replies. I have a few bottles I can send to anyone who wants one. Examine it, taste it, test it, whatever. If you are still around afterward email me and let me know how it was. I make no guarantees as I don't know what the "floaters" are. Maybe afterward I will get up the courage to taste it myself. I did however drink it before the floaters appeared and it tasted absolutely wonderful.

What makes you think it will kill/hurt you when you've had it before and the bottles are sealed??

Hell ill send my addy for consumption...

When I first drank it, it was clear and crisp and tasted great. I didn't expect to see the floaters and was hoping it improved with age. Floaters are obviously not my "cup of tea."

You said it was clear when you received it, but I have my doubts. Even "clear" looking wine can drop some dust and clump; its the reason we decanters in the first place. A good way to tell is to shine a flashlight through it. If you see much of the beam at all, its not really clear, and will drop sediment. Its similar to dust floating in a beam of sunlight.

Even a seemingly clear wine can drop lees in the bottle, and "wine diamonds" can form even in long-bottled wines.

Some of the world-class wines that sell for $500 a bottle have sediment in them- just something to consider!

When I first drank it, it was clear and crisp and tasted great. I didn't expect to see the floaters and was hoping it improved with age. Floaters are obviously not my "cup of tea."

Did you decide to drink it?

Back