Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a retarded statement!
Forget the fact that homebrewers can get batch after batch to be within 1%ABV of their target. The laws for commercial brewing mandate that ABV has to be consistent.
I don't know if the woman was stupid, or trying her own marketing gimmick, but it pisses me off a little either way.

Dogfish head themselves dont state a specific ABV. They say between 15-20% with both 120 minute and WWS.

From the local newspaper yesterday in an article on Alaskan Brewing Co.'s new spent grain burning boiler system: "...the problem of what to do with the excess spent grain--made up of the residual malt and barley--..." :smack:

inb4 someone gets pedantic and points out that they could be referring to wheat/rye malt or roasted/flaked barley. :ban:

Currently on hold with US Airways trying to get my flight tonight back to Detroit for work. They play the normal "commercials" even on the employee line. Just heard "Do you know we now carry Shock Top? It is a Belgium style ale." Made me think of the I drink Belgium Ales when I am in Belgian comment.

Something I find funny is when people make statements like "I like dark beers" when I know it really means they like Guinness and they've probably never heard of, let alone tasted a dunkel or schwarzbier.

On a similar note, it amuses me how some people define dark beer. I know some guys who (until I helped them expand their perspective) considered amber ales and IPAs to be "dark" beers, even though by definition they are amber and pale.

Aye, this goes the other way too. I've known a lot of people who swore they hated "dark beer" (which to them is synonymous with Guinness) only to go crazy when given sweet/oatmeal/cream stouts, weizenbocks, and brown porters.

Unfortunately Guinness has a monopoly on dark beer at least with the uninitiated.

I gave an amber to one of my wife's friends. She took a sip and said "You can really taste the hobbs." That is not a misspelled word. That's what she thought it wad called. Cracked me up.

So, this is sort of a funny "someone else overheard about beer."

A new co-worker of mine is a beginning brewer. He does extract kits, but has never ventured into AG or off the kit path. Of course, I'm slowly turning him to the dark side of making up one's own all-grain recipes!

Today at lunch, we were planning his first 1-gallon, stove top all grain batch I'm going to walk him through. We were talking style, and were discussing the merits of an American Pale Ale.

He said, "I really do enjoy a dry APA."

This is when another coworker, who really hadn't been listening, said, "Really? I hated reading APA-style papers when I took intro psychology! They were all dry!"

I was in Dallas at a very country restaurant, and the waitress came by for the drink order. I asked her what kind of beer they had, she said, "Oh we've got everything!" I asked her if she could name some of them for me... she said Bud Light, Coors Light, etc... and Shiner. I asked if she had Shiner Hefeweizen. I got an extremely puzzled look, so I repeated myself. She said they have Shiner. I gave up. Shiner Bock it was.

kingogames said:
Isn't this what they call "hijacking a thread"

Those pick ups are all about economics...the people want more sound and the pick ups supply it...supply and demand. Econ 101!

That is a retarded statement!
Forget the fact that homebrewers can get batch after batch to be within 1%ABV of their target. The laws for commercial brewing mandate that ABV has to be consistent.
I don't know if the woman was stupid, or trying her own marketing gimmick, but it pisses me off a little either way.

To be fair there is a small amount of variance between batches of 120 minute IPA, but a 12-25% ABV difference is ridiculous.

Currently on hold with US Airways trying to get my flight tonight back to Detroit for work. They play the normal "commercials" even on the employee line. Just heard "Do you know we now carry Shock Top? It is a Belgium style ale." Made me think of the I drink Belgium Ales when I am in Belgian comment.

Went to a Belgian waffle breakfast a while back, and a woman there comes up and asks me, "Are you Belgium?"

There's also an awesome greasy spoon diner here with a "Belgium waffle" on its menu.

PilotCline said:

I thought the proper term was Belch

It's lucky that those Belgiums;) can make decent beer. They need something to redeem themselves from inventing that Flemishizing, Sherlock Holmes wannabe - Hercule Poirrot:D

I gave an amber to one of my wife's friends. She took a sip and said "You can really taste the hobbs." That is not a misspelled word. That's what she thought it wad called. Cracked me up.
Maybe, after seeing all of the drawing of Calvin urinating on things, she meant that it wasn't the normal tinklewater but something better, like Hobbes.

Back to my complaint about brewers bsing about being the first or the biggest etc., one of the local brew pubs has this to say about their oatmel stout:

Other than a Draft Dry Stout, which are low in gravity & just have 1 hop edition, Oatmeal Stouts are a bit heavier: & because it`s us brewing, we added 2 more hop editions. & we enjoyed doing that so so much, that we used whole leaf Cascade. Cos nobody else ever did. & of course it contains oatmeal.
http://www.1516brewingcompany.com/cms/beers/

Is it really possible that these people were the first to think of putting cascade hops in an oatmeal stout?

I don't think it's so much the mistake that bothers me as it is the lack of attention to detail that went into editing their website. I hope that doesn't carry over into their brewing.

Edit: Never mind. I went to the website. It's an error in translation from German.

Is it bad that I find myself wondering if I'd be willing to drink a beer made by someone who doesn't know the difference between edition and addition? Maybe in a personal brewing journal it wouldn't matter, but this is a business website; show a little pride!

says Physicist?

lol... kidding. I do agree with you

Back to my complaint about brewers bsing about being the first or the biggest etc., one of the local brew pubs has this to say about their oatmel stout:

Is it really possible that these people were the first to think of putting cascade hops in an oatmeal stout?

I hope not, I spent an hour mulling over the idea this morning....

I was willing to give them a pass on the above until I saw the next description:

1516 Weisse

Bavarian style wheat ale, with the a light difference of 2 late hope editions. With Casacade. Yeah baby, Yeah.

But then I realized that it is just bad translation....and I suppose brewing an oatmeal stout with whole leaf cascade in Vienna probably is unusual

Oh wow, I've actually been to this place! I visited a friend in Vienna several years ago, and he took me and a few of his co-workers to the brewpub. They had a fairly limited beer selection at the time...I don't remember any oatmeal stouts or IPA's on the menu, but it's cool that they're branching out.

But getting back on topic, I can give a pass to typos and bad translations from foreign sites as long as it's mostly readable. Now, if it shows up on Sam Adams' website, that's a different story...

Friday, at a liquor store close to work - two bros are in the import aisle.

Bro #1 "Dude, Troy's Monts here has like 10%! That's like almost hard stuff"
Bro #2: "There's crap in the bottle, put it down."

Not familiar with Troy Brewing, I walked down the aisle, and found they'd been discussing Trois Monts, a beire de garde. And the "crap" was sed from bottle conditioning.

This, as my city celebrates it's Franco-Canadien fur trade history this month...:eek:

Recently I let one of my brothers try a Fat Tire clone I made, and he said (while trying real hard not to show his discomfort), "damn, that's hoppy". Maybe you should avoid the IPA then...

I can certainly sympathize with someone who doesn't dig extremely hoppy beers (I only like them on certain occasions or when I'm in a particular mood for them), but that beer was NOT that hoppy, unless your point of reference is BMC.

Bierliebhaber said:
Buddy hanging out while I was brewing:

Buddy: "What's that stuff you're spraying on everything?"

Me: "Sanitizer, but it's cool. It's food grade. You could actually ingest it and be fine, and it doesn't affect the beer's flavor."

Buddy: Squirt, squirt in the mouth..."HACCCHHH, HACCCHHH! Why'd you let me do that???"

Another time...

Buddy: "Is it ok to eat one of these pellets?"

Me: "Yeah, but I wouldn't..."

Buddy: Chomp, chomp "Oh, citrusy and bitter!"

Me: "Good luck with that."

Buddy: "Ahh, that's intense."

Me: "Yep."

Buddy: Later, "Oh, that really stays with you."
Buddy: Next day, "Man, I tried brushing my teeth...didn't really help."

Oh man you just made me shoot beer out of my nose!!!!! Laugh so hard!!!

I've got a friend who on occasion mixes orange juice with beer. I don't get it, but I drink beer that stands on it's own as far as taste is concerned.

Bells' "Oberon" is awesome like this. My wife and I call em "Beermosas." They're wonderful after a wild night in the morning with toast/eggs.

Back