Racked too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickfanelli

Reaction score
Hey kids, a beginner on my second FestaBrew kit. I made a very good pale ale in my first attempt, but my wife and I wanted a little stronger brew and our house is cool these winter months, so I looked for a lager yeast that will allow for a lower temp. However, the Bock I got from FestaBrew seems to be freaking me out. FestaBrew's directions are generic for all of there beers... 3-5 days in the primary.

I just racked it today (day 6) and although the foam and bubbles subsided; as I racked I could see some yeast activity and now, in the carboy, there is consistent bubbling from my airlock. Did I rack too soon? And if so, what should I do now? Thanks in advance.

It sounds too soon to me but the only real way to know if you are ready for racking it to test your beer with a hydrometer. See what your reading is then check it a couple of days later. If it hasn't changed you are ready to rack. If it changes your yeast is still working away. I am new to brewing so my info base is still small but a believe this to be true. Wait for someone to verify this. Either way its YOUR beer drink it and be proud of it. It only gets better. :mug:

3-5 days in primary? That's def too short a time. By then,usually only initial fermentation is done. It still needs time to creep slowly down to FG. Give it more time,about a week & a half,then test it to see how close to FG it is.

It still has yeast in it so it will keep fermenting, albeit at a slower rate with more stress on the yeast. The beer should turn out ok, but you may get some strange flavors that will take a long time to clear up. Don't toss it. As others said, give it time and in the future, leave in primary 2-3 weeks usually and make sure FG has been hit and stable before racking.

Festa Brew Bock 23 L
A classic dark, malty, strong German style bock beer. Genuine lager yeast ensures adherence to style. High original gravity. Finishes moderately sweet with a stronger,warming alcohol content.

OG: 1.0640 – 1.0648, FG: 1.0188 – 1.0196, Yeast: Saflager S-23, IBUs: 16

Found this on their site. I may be ok, I think I will leave it in the carboy and see if I can hit the FG.

So just an update. Checked the SG, it is at 1.024. When I racked it 5 days ago it was 1.026. Will the SG move significantly from here and the time is just for flavour? The FG on the documentation says 1.019ish.

It will need a much longer time to complete the job now that there is less yeast in the carboy.

The instructions definitely suck and with a lager yeast I will give it at least 3 weeks in the primary. What's done is done, don't toss the beer out. Keep everything sanitized and wait for a few more weeks. It will be a long wait but it will be worth it.

Let it sit for at least a week more before you take gravity readings

Back