harvesting yeast from bottles question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topmalt

Reaction score
So tonight I tried to get harvest yeast from 3 american amber rogue bottles. I made a starter with 3.2 ouces dme with about 1100 ml.

i got a good amount of beer out of two of the bottles, but on the third bottle I got greedy and didn't want to loose the yeast in the beer. so their was about 2 inches of beer left in it.

So my question is....

Will the beer in the starter hurt it?

No, it will be fine.
You seem to be having an each way bet on the metric and imperial measure systems - ounces, ml and inches.

You will probably be fine, but expect it could take almost a week to see activity. The beer is not a problem, but I would think that 150ml would be a more appropriate size for the first step. Each bottle probably only have about 5 billion cells.

How many cells should the 1100 ml starter make if it works?
It's really gonna take a week for the starter to take off?

It should make about 20 billion, but that is highly dependant on vitality, viability and characteristics of the strain. It could be from 10 to 100 billion.

There is a higher chance of infection because it is very large, but I wouldn't say you hurt it.

Most likely yes. You are starting from very few cells. Search for information on bottle harvesting. After you have your 20 billion cells a 500ml followed by a 1 liter step should get you in the ball park to pitch.

Do I need to wait a week before i step it up (actually down since it's in 1000ml of wort) to a 500ml starter? Couldn't I just do another 1000ml starter or will it stress the yeast out?

At ambient air temperatures most of the cell division occurs within the first two days. You could crash it now and decant. Then add the 50 grams DME and 500ml of water. After two days add another 500ml of water and 100 grams of DME.

Back