Cracked open my first brew today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny013

Reaction score
...And it was great!

It's been in the bottle for 8 days or so, but I couldn't wait any longer! I threw one in the fridge this afternoon and tried it tonight!

I went with a Mild for the first one - I wanted something that would be fast to ferment and condition. I've never had a 'real' mild before so I didn't know what to expect, but I love English ales so I wasn't worried to much.

After the pour, there was very little head which dissolved almost instantly. Oh well. The color was a beautiful amber/red, very clear. I might have poured in a little yeast.

At first, it had a slight hint of a sourness just as it hit my mouth, not pronounced or unpleasant, but you could definitely detect it. The first 24 hours of fermentation were a little warm (~78F or so..), so I don't know if the sourness is related to that. After that, I could pick up no malt character or any hops, and the mouthfeel was very light, with a slightly 'watery' taste. The recipe had some black patent and chocolate malt, and the cocoa/roasted flavor were there and noticable. The grains could be tasted in the aftertaste, too.

Overall, it was not bad at all! Very refreshing, but I was hoping for a little more malt character with maybe a little bit of hops. I guess the low amounts of malt and extract lent itself to the 'watery' flavor and light mouthfeel, but I'm not sure. I don't know what the hint of sourness is from, either, but it's still good!

I'll let it age a little more, perhaps it's still a little green.

Anyway, enough rambling! Just felt like sharing! I'm very excited! I went out and started a hefeweizen (I'm sure you've all read about my fretting, lol)!

I'm addicted!

Danny

Oooh, pics!

SANY0161.jpg

SANY0162.jpg

Everything you detected just says its green. If you can stand it, the best thing would be to wait 2 more weeks.

BTW, I do not have the diciplin to wait more then 2 weeks after kegging, but when it hits week 3 and week 4 in the keg its really great.

Better if it is long term aged, like tomorow. Just kidding. I always have a test beer at around 8 days, but two weeks is when you can really tell what you have made. Congrats on your success!!

Back