No CO2 bubbles. What now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxofjibboo

Reaction score
If my fermentation does now show signs of bubbling after 36 hrs and thinking its because the yeast was out for a long time in room temp, what shall I do?

The title on one of the stickies in this forum tells you that it can be 72 hours before you see signs of fermentation. Also, if you don't have an airtight seal, you may never see bubbles in your airlock.

If a few days pass with no signs, and you don't see any krausen, you may want to consider getting new yeast (though it might be a longshot by then).

How long was it out,& at what temp? I've been lazy about cleaning fermenters before,& yeast got moldy after 2 days. Boy,did I have to soak scrub & sanitize. The yeast might've lost significant numbers. So the reproductive phase would take longer.

+1 to the above. I had a fermentation that didn't bubble the airlock at all and went from 1.048 to 1.01. Bubbling is one way to easily see active fermentation, but active fermentation can happen without ever pushing CO2 through the airlock.

The only way to truely measure active fermentation is with a hydrometer!!

It's a new bucket. Sitting room temp. This is my friends setup. He didn't see any after 24 so I just wanted to give him advice if there was still no noticeable bubbles today

Dont look for bubble as other have said if your seal isnt tight you wont see any. Instead look for the Krausen or where the krausen was if its been a few days. Also take a Hydrometer reading. The Hydrometer is your best brewing friend.

It is too soon to even begin to worry....after 72 hours is when you take a gravity reading and see what's going on. It's quite common for yeast to take 2-3 days to get going, it's called lag time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock. it means gravity reading

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

"Activity is irrevelent." Just gravity points on a hydrometer.
Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

Airlock activity is nice but don't freak if it's not happeninig. Gravity reading is the only way to tell what's really going on

I have three 5 gallon buckets of 1.047 OG fermenting right now and only one showed any airlock activity and it was not aggressive. Yeast used was Nottingham on one and US-05 on the other two. I checked their SG on day five and they had dropped to 1.019. My fermenting temp was on the low side this time so I attribute that to the slower than normal fermentation rate that I've normally experienced but that should be a good thing!

Back