What should you have done on your first batch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
Just a few weeks away from my first all-grain batch and im curious of the mistakes others have made that I can avoid.
What did you do that you shouldn't have?
What didn't you do that you wish you did?
What recipe is easiest for a first timer?
Anything else I should know?

I won't tell you to search but a very similar thread just started:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/doing-first-ag-morning-advice-pointers-298905/

In additional to all of that simple stuff I didn't anticipate is how long I would have to stir to be sure that my mash-in had reached its *real* temperature, or how much I would have to stir with a rectangular cooler to work out the dough balls.

I raised the temp of my mash too high by re-firing the burner. I should have just let it drop a degree or two instead... An easy recipe would be an amber or any light ale with a smaller grain bill. The main thing is, don't stress over it. I made all kinds of mistakes on my first AG batch, but it was still really good beer even with an efficiency of only 65%..

I would do a first batch on AG that only requires an OG of 1.045- 1.055 with a 72 % efficiency. This way you will get a handle on your equipment. Furthermore, if you have poor efficiency, you should still be around 1.040 and the beer will still be good. If you try to brew a 1.070 and realize you have poor technique, you may only achieve say, 1.050 and be disappointed that your beer isn't well balanced. Hope this makes a little sense.

Don't make a big beer until you work any bugs put of your system. Start small and work your way up to bigger , more complicated recipes. I would do a single temp infusion as well, I did a protein rest on my first batch and I wound up having to decoct some to reach 152 in the mash. It worked , but I was not ready for it, and it was a huge pain in the butt. Planning is key, and making sure you are ready to execute that plan will insure a good brewing session. Good luck and enjoy it.

Have some music ready, its going to be a long day. Whatever water volume you calculated for your mash and sparge, try to have an extra 1-2 gallons ready hot, in case you miscalculated somewhere, or spill etc. My first time I was a gallon short of sparge water x_x

Also don't forget to preheat the mash tun!

Have some music ready, its going to be a long day. Whatever water volume you calculated for your mash and sparge, try to have an extra 1-2 gallons ready hot, in case you miscalculated somewhere, or spill etc. My first time I was a gallon short of sparge water x_x

Also don't forget to preheat the mash tun!

exactly...i was almost two gallons short in my fermenter, it was a combination of not enough sparge water and under estimating boil off

Latest posts

Back