My fermentations are stopping...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwtalley

Reaction score
OK...yes I have been drinking. But that being said, I have done four batches over the last month with all of them doing the exact same thing.

I am an AG brewer and have been doing AG for quite some time with all of the minor brewer issues but for some reason my last four batches have ALL stopped fermentation at 1.022. No rhyme or reason just stop. None of them big batches. Biggest SG was 1.058. Looking for all of them to be down in the 1.012 to 14 range but all stopped at 22. Did starters with all of them. Using Wyeast with all of them. Yeast nutrient, energizer, O2 etc. Vigorous initial fermentation but then everything stops. I have tried rousing the yeast with agitation, O2, energizer, more yeast, prayer (ok not much on time spent on the last one). I use temp controls on both of my ferm fridges and have tried raising temps within the profile range for the yeasts. Nothing after reaching 22.

I am using RO and doing mineral additions as needed to match water profiles. My PHs are right on and nothing out of the ordinary is coming up that I can see would cause this.

Anyone else ever have this issue? :drunk::drunk:

my SGs have been right on the money. If my temps were off too much wouldnt my SGs be off as well or am I going down another path altogether?

my SGs have been right on the money. If my temps were off too much wouldn't my SGs be off as well or am I going down another path altogether?

No, your SGs would not change much. However, if you mash over about 158 you can add a lot of unfermentable sugars to the wort. Same OG but a much higher FG. I'd check your thermometer.

Don't feel bad if this turns out to be the problem I learned by having a porter stick at 1028. It still tastes great.

Back