My free fermentation chamber!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jones

Reaction score
How can I insulate the top? The glass seems inefficient.

0622111942a.jpg

Cold sinks. Not terribly inefficient. I guess you could create some sort of foam panel insulation that sat above the glass if need be, but I wouldnt bother.

It's probably fine the way it is, but if you want to get anal, you could do a couple different things. First, you could just put some blankets on top. Second, you could go to Home Depot and buy some rigid foam insulation and cut it into squares. Both methods are cheap, but if I had to guess I would say that the top is dual pane plexiglass which is probably a good insulator.

Paint the glass something opaque.

If you really want to do something to insulate, I would "go to Home Depot and buy some rigid foam insulation and cut it into squares." as Bret86944 suggested.

Glass is actually a very good insulator, if your seals are good you should be fine. Cover the top with a towel to keep it from UV light and you're good to go!

Back