Pleaseforgive my ignorance on GF beers, I have some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoodward15

Reaction score
I'm not a celiac, but have friends that are. I'd like to make them a gluten free beer.

Rice is gluten free. Could I use sorghum as a base and a lot of rice to try to get away from the sourness? I was also thinking that using somemaple syrup and making it into a maple brown ale would surely help cover up the sorghum (although I've never tried a GF beer, but am going to try it next time I get tot he beer store). I'm just thinking that there has to be a way to make a better tasting beer.

I'm not a celiac, but have friends that are. I'd like to make them a gluten free beer.

Rice is gluten free. Could I use sorghum as a base and a lot of rice to try to get away from the sourness? I was also thinking that using somemaple syrup and making it into a maple brown ale would surely help cover up the sorghum (although I've never tried a GF beer, but am going to try it next time I get tot he beer store). I'm just thinking that there has to be a way to make a better tasting beer.

Check out some of the threads on GF beer from chestnuts. There's lot of entries that might give you some ideas.

You can use sorghum if you like the flavor of it in a beer.

Google up---"Gluten free chestnut beer"

Leeinwa

Rice is almost tasteless (sake being an exception) and won't do you much good. Maple needs a high residual sweetness to be palatable. Dextrose will dry the sorghum out and lots of hops can't hurt.

Haven't tried chestnuts, but they sound interesting.

Rice is almost tasteless (sake being an exception) and won't do you much good. Maple needs a high residual sweetness to be palatable. Dextrose will dry the sorghum out and lots of hops can't hurt.

Haven't tried chestnuts, but they sound interesting.

Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

leeinwa

I have some recipes in my drop down...I'm waiting on the final tasting of a few others, especially one I modeled after an oaked Arrogant Bastard recipe I saw.

Sorghum is a good base to start with and it seems like it does good in a hoppy beer like a pale ale- check David42's posts- I think he posted a recipe for a good pale ale

Back