Holliday ideas: Mint and Cinnamon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatsFan1985

Reaction score
So I found a post from 2005 about peppermint, but what I'm talking about is actual leaves from a mint plant I have. Now that it's fall it's going to die soon and I have tons of leaves I can pick off. My plan was to use them during the boil and strain them out in the hopback. Does this give enough flavor to be worth it? Has anyone tried it? Is it not pleasant?

Secondly, Papazian's book talks about using ground cinnamon. Any thoughts on this alone in the brew? How about combined with the mint? I'm planning to use all 2-row malt for this batch, and flavor it with these "different" ingredients.

Boiling mint can produce some strange flavors. You'll get better results adding them at flameout.

I like both flavors, but wouldn't combine them.

Have you ever tried adding the mint to, say a tea?

Try steeping the muddled leaves in a hot water. Then add that "tea" to a beer.

I have heard of a few brewers who regularly add a small amount iof cinnamon to every batch. Something to do with the anti-oxidants or something.

Back