Ranco 111000 Temp Probe Waterproof?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
I did a quick search on here and google and couldn't find anything. Has anyone tried this controller to see if its waterproof? It looks like it is but I don't want to ruin a brand new controller.

I have that one and it is not waterproof. I bought mine from a place that offered an optional shrink tubing that goes over the sensor but you could probably find that stuff at home depot or lowes.

However... if you use a thermowell you don't need the tubing.

I am pretty sure they are. I have submerged mine, a lot, and it is still working.

Their instruction manual says "The sensor can be inserted in a bulb well for immersion sensing".

According to that statement I would say they don't reccomend it.

I have had mine submerged in a bottle of water for about a year now without a problem, but if you want to be on the safe side make your own type of well. Place the sensor into something you can submerge into the bottle. Just make sure you use something that is a good conductor of heat and that the sensor makes good contact with its outside wall.

Well I think for all practical purposes its waterproof. I've had it submerged in my water fermentation chiller for over a week now and it still works fine.

Well I think for all practical purposes its waterproof. I've had it submerged in my water fermentation chiller for over a week now and it still works fine.

That doesn't mean it will remain working. They are not waterproof, that being said if you didn't submerge the entire bulb (past where it connects to the wire) you may get away with it. Also why put it in water in your fermentation chamber? That won't allow it to react to the fermenter's inside temps. Just tape it to the side of the active fermenter.

I know this thread is old, but just a follow up for anyone else looking at the Ranco controllers.

I use these controllers for homebrewing as well as my SPS coral tank, but the probe ends and cables are different.

In the sump of my coral tank, I have had the same probe submersed in salt water for about eight years straight. Here's a link to the AquaLogic website; which encases their probe in titanium and waterproofs the last three or so feet of their cables. I would assume this would work fine for a MLT, but I'd call to confirm:

http://www.aqualogicinc.com/products/temp_controllers/

Stainless probes available here, but I'm not sure about exposing the OEM cable to hot wort for long periods. From other posts, it seems some have had success with the cable withstanding the temps.

http://www.brewershardware.com/10-Temperature-Sensor-Ranco-ETC.html

Back