National Homebrew comp...what are you entering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they actually will see your recipe should you advance past the first round.

I always assumed the recipe submittal was for Zymurgy, not the judges in the second round. I don't think the judges really care about your recipe (I've been wrong LOTS though in the past). Last year, I vaguely remember them asking for the recipe and a picture for use in case you won gold and they publish the recipe in Zymurgy.

Just different philosophies. Some people want to throw as much **** against the wall to see what sticks. I personally just wanted a handful of my best beers that I thought were worthy.

No ill will towards anyone who did get that many entries in, good luck. My issue lies with the format not with you, and apparently you have the "registration game" figured out better than I. If the process stays the same next year I'll have to decide if I want to take the time and effort to register, or just spend it doing something else.

I have to admit, I'm one of the wall-sticker types. I have yet to correctly predict which of my entries in any given comp will place. Until I can do that, I figure there's strength in numbers. Which isn't to say I will enter an obviously bad beer, but if I personally would score it around a 35, it's getting entered. Plus, when you've had beers from the same batch score a 26 and a 41 at two different comps a week apart, it makes sense to err on the side of caution. And some people entering lots of beers just want to learn how to improve.

I'm in the same boat regarding next year. If I've got some good beer, I might enter it...but I won't deliberately brew for NHC, either.

I entered 6 - An hour fifteen of the same chaos that others experienced, and then clouds parted and I got registered and entered in 5 minutes for St. Paul.

Probably will enter: British Mild, American Brown, English Southern Brown for sure. Others to choose from will be IPA, Amber, Pilsner, Dortmunder, Helles, Belgian Golden - decide over the next couple weeks.

I always assumed the recipe submittal was for Zymurgy, not the judges in the second round. I don't think the judges really care about your recipe (I've been wrong LOTS though in the past). Last year, I vaguely remember them asking for the recipe and a picture for use in case you won gold and they publish the recipe in Zymurgy.

Have a look at section E here.

They definitely don't care on the first round, but if you advance you have the opportunity to rebrew your recipe for the second submission. And you have to include your recipe with that second submission.

I know you're required to submit the recipe, my point is that I don't think the judges ever see them or even care to.

Well, you know that's actually still not clear. Perhaps they are judging the final product based upon the recipe, or perhaps it is just for the magazine as you said. I'm not sure!

Well, you know that's actually still not clear. Perhaps they are judging the final product based upon the recipe, or perhaps it is just for the magazine as you said. I'm not sure!

Very much agree!

I would think they're pressed for time to get all entries judged in the final round for the banquet and wouldn't stop to read a recipe. I could definitely see them reading the recipes for a BOS/Homebrewer of the Year award, but the rest, I wouldn't think so.

Anyone on here ever judged the final round of NHC? I've wondered how that works.

I was hoping to have 6 entries ready but work/life intervened and I'm stuck with 3 - APA, Mild, Special Bitter in St. Paul. They are all beers that have done well in competitions for me (although I tweaked them based on recent feedback).

I can't imagine that they consider the recipe when judging. If they did, don't you think they'd be up front and have a box on the form for recipe feedback?

I got the 7 I planned on entering entered. The first one got entered about 20 minutes after registration opened and the other 6 weren't until about an hour and a half later. The beers I entered are American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, American Brown Ale, American IPA, American Stout, Imperial IPA and Old Ale. Except for the Old Ale I brewed all of them specifically for entry into NHC.

I got the 7 I planned on entering entered. The first one got entered about 20 minutes after registration opened and the other 6 weren't until about an hour and a half later. The beers I entered are American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, American Brown Ale, American IPA, American Stout, Imperial IPA and Old Ale. Except for the Old Ale I brewed all of them specifically for entry into NHC.

:off: Did you know there's a bluejacket brewery opening in DC? Don't remember if I've already mentioned that to you but just noticed your signature.

It's going to be very ambitious: http://www.bluejacketdc.com/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...81f610-7609-11e2-95e4-6148e45d7adb_story.html :off:

I got the 7 I planned on entering entered. The first one got entered about 20 minutes after registration opened and the other 6 weren't until about an hour and a half later.

Pretty much my experience; two entries after a slight delay then about 90 minutes later the waters parted and I got the rest in (St. Paul).

:off: Did you know there's a bluejacket brewery opening in DC? Don't remember if I've already mentioned that to you but just noticed your signature.

It's going to be very ambitious: http://www.bluejacketdc.com/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...81f610-7609-11e2-95e4-6148e45d7adb_story.html :off:

Yeah, I found out when I was putting my brewery into Untappd. I'm not particularly concerned about it, but thanks for the heads up, though. I would like to go pro someday, but the brewery that my brother, my friend and me want to open will be called something else.

American Amber (brewed it today)

American Pale Ale (Brewed Last Sunday)

American Stout

Imperial Stout

Saison

I'm entering 2 this year. A Belgian Dubbel and my Roasted Jalapeno Pale Ale.
Good luck to all and cheers!

Wish my beers luck.
Helles, Oktoberfest, doppelbock, and dunkel. Three of the 4 are good enough to advance. The dunkel needs something...

image.jpg

I got one entered. I was lucky I got that! I was in the second round of registration and the Tulsa site closed in like 13 minutes! I couldn't even get in at all on the first day. Anyway, I entered an 13E American Stout.

Shown in the pic earlier. If your earlier post is still correct, my helles and your dortmunder, and then my Ofest and your Vienna.

I got 4 beers to St. Paul.

American Pale Ale, Northern English Brown Ale, Maibock and a Biere de Garde.

Maibock and Biere de Garde are a bit young but I think the other two should do okay.

Good luck to everyone!

I had planned to enter 3, but it turned out one of my beers wasn't ready, and the site won't let me edit that entry and change it to another category now, for which I do have beers available.
So, I sent out two entries today:

Oktoberfest
Metheglin

I am also a co-brewer on an entry one of my friends submitted.

I had planned to enter 3, but it turned out one of my beers wasn't ready, and the site won't let me edit that entry and change it to another category now, for which I do have beers available.
So, I sent out two entries today:

Oktoberfest
Metheglin

I am also a co-brewer on an entry one of my friends submitted.

I had the same problem. I recall that it was stated that entries could be edited until they were shipped, but maybe they figure since they'd screwed up everything else, why not mess this up.

Yeah, on the 2nd go-round, my wife got two beers registered for me. The names/styles are fine (16c and e), but i don't have any recipe info entered. I'm not even sure if it's needed, but I printed out a brewsmith recipe sheet for each, and included it in the shipping. I also wrote a 10 word description of the special ingredients in the 16e entry.

What's fun is that two of my beers should be in the "specialty" categories. Fruit beer and vegetable/spice beer. HOWEVER, the system deleted the specialty portion of the category and kept the "base style" of the category. Emails to the regional director went unanswered and I had no choice but to enter them with a handwritten note explaining that the style category on each was wrong.

I fully expect that someone judging the Witbier category will get this wonderfully purple, delicious ale that tastes like blueberries. Can't wait to see the judging scores on that one.

What's fun is that two of my beers should be in the "specialty" categories. Fruit beer and vegetable/spice beer. HOWEVER, the system deleted the specialty portion of the category and kept the "base style" of the category. Emails to the regional director went unanswered and I had no choice but to enter them with a handwritten note explaining that the style category on each was wrong.

I fully expect that someone judging the Witbier category will get this wonderfully purple, delicious ale that tastes like blueberries. Can't wait to see the judging scores on that one.

What regional location did you enter? With my fruit beer it asked for the base style and a descriptor with the fruit used and entered it into Category 20A (Fruit Beers).

Whoops, went by the BJCP website and noted this:

"Note that fruit-based lambics should be entered in the Fruit Lambic category (17F), while other fruit-based Belgian specialties should be entered in the Belgian Specialty Ale category (16E)."

I suspect Barnesie that's why your Wit beer wasn't entered in category 20A by the competition software.

I entered in the Ohio region during the bull-rush/online snafu and went through the same online steps that I'm sure everyone else did. I selected 20A and the system had me select a subcategory for the base style of the beer (I believe, can't completely remember the steps now) and I selected a Witbier at the time. The base style is really more of an american wheat, but I was rushing to get them all entered. When it came time to print my labels, I noticed that it's listed as a witbeir and not 20A and there was no ability to change them anymore.

Now it's just listed as a witbier. I think it's delicious. But it's not a witbier.

Oh well. One more failure.

I had the same problem. I recall that it was stated that entries could be edited until they were shipped, but maybe they figure since they'd screwed up everything else, why not mess this up.
The last date for editing was buried somewhere on the website, but I missed it too. Not necessary, but along with the other emails that the AHA sent out, it would have been nice to have gotten one saying, "tomorrow is the last day to edit."

I also thought that we had right up to the last day to get in edits. In the mad rush to get beers entered, I just threw in things as place holders planning to edit later. Oops!

Back