Worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron007

Reaction score
Hi all i know some will probably laugh at this but here go's
Making a brew from pure grape juice and pineapple and passion fruit 1 litre of grape juice(white) and one litre of pineapple and passionfruit mixed.Following the recipe from wurzels orange wine but substituted the orange for pineapple and passionfruit.All been going well for a few days till today i topped up the glass Demijohn(5 gallon size i think) with boiled water that had cooled down.Now the thing has gone mad i've had to chaned the airlock twice now ive made a blowoff tube(all be it a poor one).What i'm worried about is if the neck of the demijohn gets blocked with all the sludge(is it yeast? ) will my demijohn explode?Its Glass and really worried in case it explodes.Ive put a wet towel around it to try and slow it down a bit.
Anyway thanks in advance
Ronnie

My thoughts are that as long as there is pressure being released out of the opening you will be fine. More than likely even if the hose plus up, you'll blow the bung out and just make a large mess. Cane you increase the blow off hose size? Perhaps allowing more pressure out?

Thanks for the quick reply.Just looking around the house for something to use as a bigger blow off hoze.I'm more worried about the gas not getting through the opening if it gets clogged.Lol i'm amazed at how mad its gone it may just be newbie paranoia will keep looking for a bigger hoze but i'm not holding my breath.

Yeah bigger may help you out, but as long as its releasing pressure continuously it's probably going to be ok, it's when the checks get clogged or the hose plugs off, that turns into an issue!
Good luck

well it slowed down a bit now hopefully all will be good from here.Thanks again for help Worksnorth its much appreciated

Back