Wyeast smack pack question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnesnowtaBrew

Reaction score
Thought my brew day was gonna be yesterday so I purchased a Wyeast smack pack (1056) yesterday, smacked it, however forgot an ingredient so I couldn't brew until today. I placed the smacked smack pack in my fridge over night and used it for my wort today. My question is, will I have any problems? Should I maybe add another fresh pack tomorrow?

Shoulda just left it out at room temp. Warm it up for awhile before you use it, but it'll be fine.

I don't wanna be that guy, but look into making a "yeast starter" when using liquid yeast. It's the best way to go.

Shoulda just left it out at room temp. Warm it up for awhile before you use it, but it'll be fine.

I don't wanna be that guy, but look into making a "yeast starter" when using liquid yeast. It's the best way to go.

...yes...not to be that guy but....rather than putting the yeast back in the fridge, whip up a quick yeast starter and pitch the yeast into it. When you get around to brewing the next day, you'll have actively fermenting yeast that will be krausening within a couple hours.

...yes...not to be that guy but....rather than putting the yeast back in the fridge, whip up a quick yeast starter and pitch the yeast into it. When you get around to brewing the next day, you'll have actively fermenting yeast that will be krausening within a couple hours.

Yeah, that's probably the OP's best bet now. (not that the OP's yeast is anything but ok, but it's ALWAYs the best bet with liquid) The one way to be sure the yeast is "ok" or whatever, is to make a starter.

The one way to be sure the yeast is "ok" or whatever, is to make a starter.

:off: maybe

I always make starters, well didn't always but do now. Have a 2k ml flask and stir plate. How do you know with a stir plate the yeast are getting it on and multiplying? There is no krausen, and I'm not quite sure the sediment at the bottom is just trub or yeast.

Never put any thought to this until last weekend. The yeast had been exposed to hot temps for a week. The starter worked for sure though. The fermenter was aggressively chugging away within 4 hours of pitching/64 degrees and is still ryhthmlicly blowing off a rapid cadence of CO2 farts 84 hours later.

:off: maybe

I always make starters, well didn't always but do now. Have a 2k ml flask and stir plate. How do you know with a stir plate the yeast are getting it on and multiplying? There is no krausen, and I'm not quite sure the sediment at the bottom is just trub or yeast.

Dan, I'd call a duck a duck here. I totally see what you're saying, but if there's significant sedimentation when you turn the plate off, I'd say it's safe to assume that there's been some growth in the starter.

That's kind of what I always assumed and believe it was the correct assumption. I guess I just got the worries for nothing. Yeast are resillient I know. I'm like an over protective parent at times. Ha ha...

I'm going to make a starter today with a smack pack I activated 2 weeks ago. Not what I planned and not ideal, but I'm 99% sure it's gonna work. Why am I so sure? Well, this isn't the first time this has happened.

Yeast are strong like bull.

Thanks for all of the responses and great feedback guys! I looked into starters and I will definitely be using your suggestions from now on. Learning everyday.

On a positive note: I have full on fermentation, bubbling, and krausen going on this morning when I woke up! Those yeast are tough.

I'm sure I haven't looked hard enough yet, and I think I'm getting my answer here, but I received a package today and my wyeast smack pack was inflated. I wasn't planning on brewing until Saturday. I do plan on making a starter and I put the yeast in the fridge for now. I'm ok right?

In the summer a lot of people receive inflated packages in the mail and freak out. A few will have gotten hot enough to kill the yeast but most that make a starter have good results.

I read about starters before using liquid yeast so I have always done it. I have never had a problem and most are fermenting vigorously by morning, many have started in less than 4 hours.

Back