Sour beer - allergies from fungus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
I don't know much about sour beers but I was mentioning the idea of making one in the future and SWMBO was not too keen on the idea because she has some pretty bad allergies and is allergic to dust/mold/etc.

Does anyone have any articles that prove one way or another if that kind of mold or fungus (whatever it is) can affect allergies?

Sour beers are not made using mold or fungus, but bacteria. Brettanomyces is a yeast similar to regular brewing yeast (but more tenacious). Lactobacillus is the same bacteria found in most yogurt, so if she's allergic to yogurt you should steer clear. Pediococcus is related to lacto.

So the growth on the top of the beer is bacteria, and not a mold or fungus that would be related to allergens (besides the yogurt example you mentioned)?

So the growth on the top of the beer is bacteria, and not a mold or fungus that would be related to allergens (besides the yogurt example you mentioned)?

Yes, Mold will destroy your beer...

It probably will not hurt you but will effect the taste "In A Bad Way"

Fortunately this is not a common problem, I am not a "Crazy Cleaner" and I have never had the problem.

OH: and I have a slight allergy to some molds so I would know...

Correct. If she has a yeast allergy or an allergy to the bacteria in yogurt I would steer clear, but otherwise it's probably not a problem.

Of course, I'm not a doctor so this shouldn't be construed as medical advice.

All yeast are fungi (sacc, brett, etc). So are mushrooms.

You're correct, I had a brain fart on that one. Regardless, if she's not allergic to regular beer and not allergic to yogurt, chances are she won't be allergic to sour beer.

Yeah, my only concern was the interesting growth on the top of the beer and that being in the air. She definitely won't be drinking it

I have had an allergic reaction to Lindemans Cuvée Rene Gueze.

It pretty much gave me an asthma attack. Have also had this with one other Belgian beer.

I do have allergies to dust an mould but they don't often trigger asthma.

I drink beer daily and this has only ever happened with certain Belgian beers.

Back