Citrusy Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aking

Reaction score
I just finished off a batch of Blind Pig Clone, and I am going to brew my first original recipe this weekend. Inspired by a recent recipe thread, "Tropical/Dank", I have decided to brew a Pale Ale with a heavy citrus overtone. This will be my 4th batch since switching over to AG. Below is what I have come up with so far for a citrusy pale ale. Thoughts and comments appreciated. Should I substitute some Perle or Columbus during the bittering additions?

10 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
1.25 lbs Crystal Malt (60L)

Mash at 153-154 for 60 min
Sparge as usual

1/2oz Falconer's Flight 60 min
1/2oz Falconer's Flight 30 min
1/2oz Amarillo 10 min
1/2oz Falconer's Flight 5 min
1/2oz Amarillo 5 min
1oz Amarillo Flameout
1/2 Cascade Flameout

Ferment at 66-68 with a 36 hour cold crash before bottling

Should I substitute some Perle or Columbus during the bittering additions?

10 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
1.25 lbs Crystal Malt (60L)

Mash at 153-154 for 60 min
Sparge as usual

1/2oz Falconer's Flight 60 min
1/2oz Amarillo 10 min
1/2oz Falconer's Flight 5 min
1/2oz Amarillo 5 min
1oz Amarillo Flameout
1/2 Cascade Flameout

Those hops will give you plenty of citrus along with some fruity tropical notes. Some Cascade wouldn't hurt, but I would avoid adding Centennial or Citra since these can be quite fruity.

A few changes if you want to listen... Mash at 151-152, use 3/4 lb. of Crystal 10 (not 1-1/4 lb. of Crystal 40), add 6% wheat malt to the grist, use Columbus for bittering, bump up your 10 minute addition & nix the 5 minute addition, and finally dryhop it.

Those hops will give you plenty of citrus along with some fruity tropical notes. Some Cascade wouldn't hurt, but I would avoid adding Centennial or Citra since these can be quite fruity.

A few changes if you want to listen... Mash at 151-152, use 3/4 lb. of Crystal 10 (not 1-1/4 lb. of Crystal 40), add 6% wheat malt to the grist, use Columbus for bittering, bump up your 10 minute addition & nix the 5 minute addition, and finally dryhop it.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking the same thing with Columbus for bittering.

^2nd most of these changes and I'd say if really want to keep it close to your recipe and only can make one change make it the smaller amount of crystal.

Here is my revised recipe:

86% 10 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
7% .75 lbs Crystal Malt (10L)
7% .75 lbs Wheat Malt

Mash at 152 for 60 min
Sparge as usual

1/2oz Columbus 60 min
1oz Amarillo 10 min
1/2oz Falconer's Flight 10 min
1oz Amarillo Flameout
1/2oz Falconer's Flight Flameout
1/2oz Amarillo Dry Hop 10-14 Days
1/2oz Falconer's Flight Dry Hop 10-14 Days

White Labs California Ale Yeast

Looks good. I would find some way to finagle 5% sugar into the grist. And also double the 10 min addition and triple the dryhop. Yeast starter should be made if the FG is higher than normal for the style, which it appears to be.

How did this come out?

Looks good. I would find some way to finagle 5% sugar into the grist. And also double the 10 min addition and triple the dryhop.

What does the 5% sugar in the grist accomplish?

Does someone have a list in order of citrusiness?:)

How did this come out?

What does the 5% sugar in the grist accomplish?

Does someone have a list in order of citrusiness?:)

Typically helps to keep F.G. low, I'm partial to it in IPA's, though have certainly found it appealing in pale ale's (though in this case seems counter intuitive to add both simple sugars and wheat)

Back